Are the 90bhp variants worth the extra cost

PaulA2

Hello, been a while since I have been on here but looks like I am in the market for my third A2.

Must have parameters are sport and tdi but do people feel the 90 bhp models are worth the associated price premium?

Aside from the extra power and rear disc setup are there any other benefits?

I am keen to buy one but will try and wait for the right one that ticks must haves.

Thanks for any pointers and advice.

I have a 90 and my Dad has a 75. In my opinion the power difference is not that much and the turbo on the 90 is prone to costly problems. Mine was reconditioned at 60k. So in my opinion go for a 75 over a 90. If I have not changed your mind and the turbo on any 90 you test drive is not new then hold it at full throttle for as long as possible on the motorway/ uphill. If it goes into limp mode walk away.

I would go for overall condition, history, spec and then 90 or 75 in that order. No point in getting a 90 thats a 'shed' or money pit..... a remapped 75 is a pretty good compromise.

Cheers guys, from a reliability perspective alone I think a 75. Think I have found the right one too so all being well not far away from being back in one now!

Dual mass flywheel

I read this thread with some concern.

I have an A2 TDi 90 and, earlier this year, had the turbo fail. The dealer told me this was very unusual, but the earlier posts in this thread seem to suggest the TDi90 is prone to turbo problems.

Now, I read that my car also has the infamous dual-mass flywheel. Honest John in the Telegraph tells many tales of expensive repairs being necessary to VAG cars with failed dual-mass flywheels, but VAG seem to think they are isolated occurrences, apparently, and don't accept there's a problem.

If the A2 presents me with another big bill (it's at about 54000 miles at the moment) it'll have been by far the most expensive car I've ever run, which is ironic given that I bought it expecting low running costs and low depreciation, together with a long life.

Can anybody advise, is there a general problem, is there anything to do with driving style/technique which might reduce the risk?

I had been considering getting the car chipped (concerns over turbo-reliability would be the main reason not to) but I think I'd better put those funds aside in case of another big bill, hadn't I?

Maybe their relative rarity (less than 10% of UK sales) and the cars popularity on here amplifies the idea that 90's are prone to turbo faults?
I dont recall a large number of members on here reporting expensive repairs, and personally speaking we have just turned 62,000 miles with (touch wood) no problems whatsoever.

I think many VG turbos are changed simply because the variable vanes stick. In most cases a good clean is all that would be needed to restore turbo performance but finding a workshop who is happy to repair rather than replace is not easy these days.
The attached link (posted by ecoangel I think) shows how to clean a typical VG turbo - and the last animated pic shows how the vanes move to change the airflow over the impeller. - http://www.technologie-entwicklung.de/Gasturbines/VNT15-Turbo/vnt15-turbo.html

Cheers Spike

I'd be interested to know how many on here own a 1.4tdi 90bhp and how many have actually had a turbo or dual mass flywheel go and at what mileage. Is it worth a poll?

With problems as big as this over the 75bhp version and so little difference in performance, it begs the question why they should command a price premium?

I sadly feel that there are too few regular forum members with 90PS to make the results unreliable.

Also, most car buyers aren't forum members or readers so I suspect few people know of the isssue with dual mass flywheel, so just see the 90PS as a higher spec than the 75Ps, which it is, so it commands a premium. If you also consider a 90PS with OpenSky then there can be quite a gap to a base 75PS model. You pays you money and you takes your choice. :)

I'd be interested to know how many on here own a 1.4tdi 90bhp and how many have actually had a turbo or dual mass flywheel go and at what mileage. Is it worth a poll?

With problems as big as this over the 75bhp version and so little difference in performance, it begs the question why they should command a price premium?

Here you are.
This is the list of broken turbos of the 90 bhp ATL engine of German A2 owners - km-mileage and date of registration associated. There seems to be no clear correlation between mileage or ECU chipping and the turbo failures.

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?p=825566#post825566

There are several dual mass flywheel failures known in the German A2 forum...

It's an issue of self-selection bias as well - people generally only report problems on forums like this as it's a means to get things diagnosed/ fixed. Therefore a small stream of posts about turbo problems may seem like lots of cases, but I expect it only represents a small minority of satisfied owners who aren't experiencing issues who are therefore happily not reporting.

I imagine the same may be the case with the NotOpenSky - or rather, as an OpenSky owner I hope!

Here you are.
This is the list of broken turbos of the 90 bhp ATL engine of German A2 owners - km-mileage and date of registration associated. There seems to be no clear correlation between mileage or ECU chipping and the turbo failures.

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?p=825566#post825566

There are several dual mass flywheel failures known in the German A2 forum...

My German is close to useless but I assume those mileages are in Kilometres being Germany? If so it seems that if you get beyond about 70,000 miles without a failure they no longer fail so often :)

Dual Mass Flywheel

Clutch action on my 2004 tdi90 (90,000 miles) was 'soft' 5% of the time, otherwise normal. Also slight oscillation under braking as if disc warped slightly and gearchange becoming less slick. Garage says dual mass flywheel 10mm beyond tolerance and requires replacement (Audi garage £1300, less for independent). Mechanic (ex Audi) has changed these on A2's at 25,000 and usually at around 60,000 so he reckons mine has done well, although I never thrash it. Dual mass flywheel smooths out vibration in tdi 90 engine whereas similar performance 75 engine doesn't need one so must be marginal decision to equip. Would be nioce to be able to fit 75 flywheel! Otherwise, great little car. Goes under the knife on Jan 5th, will post result of operation soon.

Vg turbo dm flywheel

Fortunately? No problems with either of mine and mines been remapped so I occasionally give it the beans
I did clean out the vanes on my wides a4 last year and it was easier than thought it could be so I plan to do same with mine in next few days as I have some hols from work
P

Where is Everyone getting this £1300 from just for a DMF.
http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/clutch-parts-buy.php
Damped Flywheel Clutch
Part Number : 417004710
Cost : £274.28 + vat

Thats without looking hard.

You can get conversions that convert them to remove the DMF.
Im over 100k and No Turbo and Dmf probs.
If 5 people have a Problem on a forum its blown out of proportion,Turbos on Golf TDI 150's are known to fail,its like anything treat it nice and dont stress it.

I've even avoided the 5th Gear upgrade so far as the 90 is a bit longer legged than a 75.
Maybe I'm Lucky I thought I was buying a TDI basic and ended up with a sport 90

Last edited:
I realise the original post was ages ago, but for what it's worth here's my 2p on the 75 vs 90 debate;...

I've owned two mapped 75's and now a mapped 90. Both my 75's mapped to about 100bhp and the 90 mapped to 117bhp, so 17% more. 17% more power in a light car definitely makes it more useful and I have to say my 90 is noticeably gruntier than the 75's.

Having said all that, a mapped 90 is still not a truely rapid car. I've read posts on here about people 'beating' civic type R's with a mapped 90, and it's dreamworld stuff. I've owned 2 civic type R's, a DC5 integra type R, a Golf Gti edition 30 and various other quick cars..... A mapped 75 or 90 doesn't even come close.

If you just want cheap motoring, go with a 75 and have stealth map it. If you want a bit of exclusivity, a more punchy drive and have a bit more money to spend go for a 90 (and again have Stealth map it) - if you look after it you'll probably get most of your extra initial outlay back and sell it quicker than a 75

Don't buy a 90 if you think it's going to be a road burner after a remap as you may be disappointed. I'd mirror what others have said, Condition 1st, Specification 2nd and worry about whether it's a 75 or 90 last. Afterall, if your buying a A2 for economy reasons, you're not going to be using the extra power of the 90 80% of the time anyway.

Dual Mass Flywheel

Following earlier post, work to replace DMF, clutch kit and release bearing and change gearbox oil is now complete. Very light clutch action, much easier gearchange and no juddering under braking so all appears to be well. Here's to another 90,000miles.

Back