Rear seat catch missing

mertin

The passenger side of my rear seat won't stay in the upright position and the realease handle by the headrest is permanently up. I noticed that the catch on the side of the seat is missing.
This has been like this since I bought the car. It also had the problem with the pins underneath being out of sync and I think the previous owner has snapped the catch by forcing the seat back when the pins underneath were not locked in place.

I don't have any pics at the moment to help explain - hopefully someone will understand!!

Is this an easy fix?

IIRC with the seat out, when you look at the two base pins/springs, the springs should be in the fully extended position. I had a similar issue a few months back. A screwdriver was easily able to push the spring up without too much effort.

If you're still having problems by the w/e I'll try to remember to look at them again to remind myself how they work and what I did to fix my issue at least.

I do recall that the upper latch location was not able to work until the two seat pins were correctly in place.

Thanks for the replies guys.... I don't think explained my problem very well though:rolleyes:.

I had already fixed the issue with the pins:)
I've attached a pic of what is missing. The bit circled is missing from one of my seats, so it won't stay upright....Hope that makes sense.

Have tried to prise the plastic surrond off, but it isn't budging, so I assume there is a technique to this.

Cheers,
Martin.

Hi Martin
Not tried this myself but start by pushing in (about 5mm) the 2 flush pins on the surround. Warning - push too far and the pins are likely to fall into the seat back. You should then be able to release the front of the trim and unclip it from the seat frame

Cheers Spike

Hi Martin
Not tried this myself but start by pushing in (about 5mm) the 2 flush pins on the surround. Warning - push too far and the pins are likely to fall into the seat back. You should then be able to release the front of the trim and unclip it from the seat frame

Cheers Spike

Spot on Spike....Cheers

The pins did need quite a bit of force applying, which did knock them into the seat, but they were easliy retreived:)

Looks like the broken piece is part of unit, which looks like the seat back needs to come off in order to replace it:( but at least the seat stays in place now!

View attachment 12431View attachment 12432
Hi Martin

Cheers Spike

hi Gurus

my n/s/r seat has failed MOT coz it dint stand upright and the lock isnt working. i saw the base pins one of which was sticking inside. i managed to pull it back using screw driver n it was easy. Now the prob is the locking pin which is not going all the way down and stuck in half when released. the plastic lever also doesn't also sit back in its natural position (as in the pics). managed to remove the plastic surround, thanks to forum tips but one flush pin got smashed while pushing coz it was damn stuck(replacements??? part#???)
HELP!!!

how can i remove the top surround? may be i can see whats wrong in clear picture? technique plz?

Back