Remote not working.

Rob Earl

Past Member
The key we use the majority of the time wasn't playing ball this morning & refused to unlock the doors.
As the car is now just over 2 years old, could it be just a flat battery or something else?
The second ocassional key worked fine.

It could be the battery in the fob, in which case you should swap 'em over to rule this out.

If it isn't this, the keys sometimes need re-pairing.

This procedure is explained in the manual, but I'll repeat it here, just in case:

1. Lock the car manually, using the key in question.
2. Unlock it and put the key into the ignition, start the car briefly.
3. Turn off the engine and remove the key. Immediately press the unlock button on the fob.
4. The locks should all operate and indicators flash. Your key is now re-paired.

HTH,

Mike

The remote has a new battery now so I'll have a play tonight when I get home & see if it need re-programming.
Timpsons, £1.90. A lot cheaper than the Audi alternative I'm sure...

Mine has just developed the a similsr problem sometimes remote works sometimes not. If it locks it'll unlock, it's never failed to unlock though. It's getting worse luckily still in waranty, I'll let the forum know what SKF say next week!

The procedure works also if the key was never "learned" on the car? I bought a brand new remote for my old key and I want to know if that operations can help the remote to work. Thank you

is this possible? There are people on ebay selling the information to match up new keys to the car? I assume you can have the key cut somewhere.

tdiman said:
The car as now been to SKF no faults found so they changed the remote under warranty
key fob change has done the trick, few months on now & no further problems to be had

Skipton01 said:
It could be the battery in the fob, in which case you should swap 'em over to rule this out.

This procedure is explained in the manual, but I'll repeat it here, just in case:

3. Turn off the engine and remove the key. Immediately press the unlock button on the fob.
4. The locks should all operate and indicators flash. Your key is now re-paired.

HTH,

Mike

Thanks Skipton:)

Just had our spare key give up, followed the instructions and all is well. Not sure what causes the key just to give up:confused:

doc

doctor said:
Thanks Skipton:)

Just had our spare key give up, followed the instructions and all is well. Not sure what causes the key just to give up:confused:

doc
No worries, Doctor - glad to be of help.

Who knows what causes electrical items to go wonky? Ghost in the machine perhaps?

Cheers,

Mike

I thought about buying a spare 'blank' key off eBay - but read somewhere that no one will cut it for you as it not sourced from an original supplier. Might be worth checking with a dealer before you buy one.

Hi, I bought a key from ebay a while back and eventually got around to getting it cut today, had it cut buy S+S Auto locks in Darlington.Have all their details if you require them, drop me a PM. Key works fine but i think i need a new battery as i can't reprogramme the key!

Skipton,

Thanks SO much for this tip.

The batteries died in both my A2 keys. I replaced the first one myself and the remote wouldn't work afterwards so when the second battery died, I went to my local Audi dealer. This dealer was too busy for the next two weeks to replace it (I can only get to them on Saturday mornings) so I phoned another Audi dealer who told me that as I'd mucked up the first key, both keys would have to be reprogrammed and it would be much more costly than a simple battery replacement.

I have just followed your advice with the key I'd "mucked up" and although it didn't work the first time, it did on my second attempt. You have saved me lots of time, money and frustration. You are a star!

Many thanks,
Susan

Last edited by a moderator:
Worked like a charm :)

HTH,

Mike

Back