Brake modification

A

AMG

Hi all, I would like to upgrade the brake system / power :D of my A2 (TDI, 90PS). Has anyone done an upgrade on their car?
I am looking for bigger disk, front and back, coming from the VAG/AUDI parts list. As I have notice, it would be OK to install 280/288mm disk on the front (from audi 80/A4 or golf). What about the back? Any sensible suggestion? I have read somewhere that someone wanted to install Audi TT brakes! If feasable, which?

:eek: Going to Brembo or other big system is out of the question! I will have TüV /MOT problems. That's why I wanna stick with VAG/AUDI stuff. They dont know any better:p.

Thanks, Didier

almu on the german forum runs 300+, but that means only 17s and there's only 205/40R17 pirellis for Winter. The 280s should fit 16s, but it may be tight. You ought to check.
Upgrading to Golf IV, Octavia or A3 systems should be OK, there's a bunch of part numbers somewhere but I can't find them.

Bret

You'll not be able to fit larger discs without fitting caliper carriers or new calipers and that'll be tricky.

To be honest, there's little point in going larger as the standard (uprated in terms of drilled/grooved and better friction material, maybe EBC Greenstuff) setup stops the car really well.

The A2 is a fair bit lighter than most cars and that means less mass to stop as there's less momentum at any given speed. If you go bigger on the discs and calipers, you'll be increasing the unsprung weight, which will adversley affect handling.

Given the amount of changes made to Tank, the one thing that I've not contemplated is bigger brakes. I just think that the negatives will outweigh the positives.

Cheers,

Mike

almu on the german forum runs 300+, but that means only 17s and there's only 205/40R17 pirellis for Winter. The 280s should fit 16s, but it may be tight. You ought to check.
Upgrading to Golf IV, Octavia or A3 systems should be OK, there's a bunch of part numbers somewhere but I can't find them.

Bret
Sometimes 300mm discs fit inside 15" rims. It just depends on the design of the disc and calipper to avoid interferences. But most of the time, it's 16" that are required.
Anyway, you mentionned the possible winter wheels problem. You are right. There is also another : it's the spare wheel issue...

Improving brakes is only needed if you have a very sporty driving way. Esp. track days and so on... To me, the brake system of the A2 is just right. As Skipton said, an improvement would be to change pads. EBC Green Stuff are not good. They are only good at one point : they make much less brake dust. Mintex 1144 are very good (road) pads.

Braking power

Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses. I have calipers from an old A4 (1998) for 280mmX22 rotors on hand. Just need a little cleaning and paint. On my A4 2.5TDI quattro, I run 288mm X 22 rotors up front and I am able to mount 15 inch wheels for winter. Of course the ET is different, but the brake calipers just fit in there.
What I am looking for is the back of the A2, as the front is nearly covered. Changing those "real" small rotors for something more potent but staying with VAG/AUDI standart parts.

For me, the braking power (standart) lack...power. Try a Porsche 996 turbo and feel the difference...:D Try a Ferrari 550 Maranello and feel the difference...;)(the Porsche system is better, by the way:eek:). I just want to feel the brakes under the pedal. Now it is too "spongy" for my liking. The A4 is much better. I do not know if it is the S-line effect or else but the pedal "attack" and response is much better.

Regards, Didier

Hi guys,

Thank you for your responses. I have calipers from an old A4 (1998) for 280mmX22 rotors on hand. Just need a little cleaning and paint. On my A4 2.5TDI quattro, I run 288mm X 22 rotors up front and I am able to mount 15 inch wheels for winter. Of course the ET is different, but the brake calipers just fit in there.
What I am looking for is the back of the A2, as the front is nearly covered. Changing those "real" small rotors for something more potent but staying with VAG/AUDI standart parts.

For me, the braking power (standart) lack...power. Try a Porsche 996 turbo and feel the difference...:D Try a Ferrari 550 Maranello and feel the difference...;)(the Porsche system is better, by the way:eek:). I just want to feel the brakes under the pedal. Now it is too "spongy" for my liking. The A4 is much better. I do not know if it is the S-line effect or else but the pedal "attack" and response is much better.

Regards, Didier
If you have a spongey feel to the brakes, get the rubber pipes changed for braided steel - it makes a world of difference. Try this before you do anything further as it might be all you need.

Also, the rear discs are only used for 10% of the braking power, possibly less, so changing them will give negliable effects.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

Thanks and of course you right about the 2 problems. Braided steel tubing will be one of the solution for the front and rear. The general power neglect at the rear is a neccessary measure for most drivers. Everyone is not able to properly control his vehicle nor drives on a race track or has race track experience. Today's rear brake are just enough to keep the car in line during hard braking. Try to block the rear wheels with your handbrake while driving! Almost impossible nowadays.
It was nice when you could turn around or direct the rear with the hand brake. Todays car are too "lame". Of course, I do not include the top notch in there :D! But then, I should be driving a Porsche turbo on everyday basis rather than the A4 and my wife should use the 550 Maranello everyday. That's one of my fancies...but a long way from it.

If you have a spongey feel to the brakes, get the rubber pipes changed for braided steel - it makes a world of difference. Try this before you do anything further as it might be all you need.

Also, the rear discs are only used for 10% of the braking power, possibly less, so changing them will give negliable effects.

Cheers,

Mike
What can do a world of difference is a brake fluid change, if the actual brake fluid is old and contaminated. Braided stainless steel hoses only make a marginal improvement. It is only perceivable in race track use (or rather abuse), and when the rest of the braking system is on par (for example, brake pads operating at high temperature, DOT 5.1 race fluid ...) ... unless of course if the rubber hoses need a change.

Indeed rear brakes don't do a big job, esp. on a lightweight little FWD car.

Hi Guys

I have been through this whole change brakes for bigger ones, as of yet still not had the money to buy either EBC green stuff and grovved discs, or found any doner brakes from a A3, but I do think the brakes on my A2 a not very good and fade very quickly, so my driving has been curved until my wallet can afford brake up grade

Colin

Hi, If I'm upgrading to TT brake discs and callipers will I need to change the hubs and does anyone have the part numbers for these please.

:cool:

after a bit of research, ATE powerdiscs and ATE pads along with braided hoses and new fluid should be a perfect upgrade for a stealthed A2.

thats what im going for anyway:D

Thanks Spike, I did have a go at the weekend but the driveshaft seems as though it's seized onto the bearing and with all that banging I was a little concerned that I might be damaging the driveshaft.

Thanks Spike, I did have a go at the weekend but the driveshaft seems as though it's seized onto the bearing and with all that banging I was a little concerned that I might be damaging the driveshaft.

Hi Sojah

The driveshafts are Locktited into the hub to prevent fretting of the splines. Best to use a puller to press the shaft through the bearing if you can.

Cheers Spike

Hi Guys

I have been through this whole change brakes for bigger ones, as of yet still not had the money to buy either EBC green stuff and grovved discs, or found any doner brakes from a A3, but I do think the brakes on my A2 a not very good and fade very quickly, so my driving has been curved until my wallet can afford brake up grade

Colin

If your suffering with brake fade in an Audi A2, then your discs must be wafer thin and/or your brake fluid has the temperature properties of tin foil !! Even if you can drive the A2 hard enough on the road to get brake fade (which you cant), then your driving should be looked at, not a brake upgrade.

Get new discs and pads (standard) and a brake fluid change. I guarantee that will fix your problems.

Thanks Spike, thought I had done all of my research last week into this mod and came unstuck here....

Hi Sojah

The driveshafts are Locktited into the hub to prevent fretting of the splines. Best to use a puller to press the shaft through the bearing if you can.

Cheers Spike

If your suffering with brake fade in an Audi A2, then your discs must be wafer thin and/or your brake fluid has the temperature properties of tin foil !! Even if you can drive the A2 hard enough on the road to get brake fade (which you cant), then your driving should be looked at, not a brake upgrade.

Get new discs and pads (standard) and a brake fluid change. I guarantee that will fix your problems.
Disk and pads are fine and have been changed twice in two years with Brembo all round. The brake fluid was done by Audi so that isn't a problem, and as for my driving that's not an issue either!! I have two boys in football Academys and one in the Premiership which means driving up and down the country taking/supporting them at their game. So putting mileage on my brakes is the issue I have not driving style.

Disk and pads are fine and have been changed twice in two years with Brembo all round. The brake fluid was done by Audi so that isn't a problem, and as for my driving that's not an issue either!! I have two boys in football Academys and one in the Premiership which means driving up and down the country taking/supporting them at their game. So putting mileage on my brakes is the issue I have not driving style.

Im sorry if my accusation for your driving offended you. But, if your brakes are fine and have been serviced regularly, that's the only thing it can be. My line of work see's vehicles driven to extreme's so i know that to get brake fade you have to be very very hard on the brakes continuously, especially if the brakes are in good order, like you said they are. The brakes on all cars are designed to dissipate the heat build up in them efficiently, so to get brake fade you have to be practically doing the equivalent of emergency stop's, one after another continuously. Which takes us back to your driving style.

Either that or Audi replaced your brake fluid with orange juice

Back