alternator belt come off!

martings

A2OC Donor
Belt has come off, it hasn't snapped just come off
it looks a little worn but intact
I assume it is easy to refit etc
any thoughts
Glen

have looked again and not only has the belt come off but the grooved pulley attached to the alternator has come off with it!
The retaining nut which keeps it on to the alternator looks to have been shearing away at the rubber/poly washer, and the internal shaft appears badly worn.
Not sure if the pulley from the alternator is a servicable part (i.e. purchase from audi etc)
looked on elsawin, which is not clear
help appreciated
Glen

Hi Glen
Most A2's are fitted with a special 'freewheeling' alternator pulley which is replaceable but costs around £50. This style of pulley has a plastic cover which hides the retaining nut and freewheel mechanism. I can only assume this is a failsafe which protects the internals from total destruction if the alternator partially seizes up - have you checked to see if your alternator spins freely.
Other alternators are fitted with a standard pulley which costs approx £15. There is no protective cover so the retaining nut would be visible.

Cheers Spike

ta spike, i have only retrieved the pulley, which on inspection has cracking to the internal collar, the alternator spins freely, however think it may be worth replacing the complete alternator as it would have to come off anyway to repair.
any idea of cost, assume it comes complete with pulley?

thanks again

do you know if that included the pulley or did they reuse the pulley off the old alternator?
ta for response
Glen

timing belt

Could You tell me when is the best time to change
timing belt?
I've been told it should be made after 80,000 miles
I've made 57,000 so far..

I have 1,6 Fsi 2004

thanks

Back