Rear Seat Won't Latch to Floor

A2-BC

Hi Everyone,

I have just been out with Mrs. C for the weekly shop and folded the rear seats fully forward to get everything in the car! When I have come to fold the seats back into their normal position afterwards the left one was fine but the right hand one won't latch to the floor.

On inspection it looks like on the 'good' seat the collars which hold the helical latch pin springs are below the three ball bearings so only the tapered ends of the pins are showing (about 10mm) .

On the 'stuck' seat the spring collar seems to have ridden over the 3 ball bearings so that they are visible below the collar so about 15mm is showing). I've only had the car about 3 weeks and folded the seat quite a few times but this is the first time one of them has stuck. I can't figure how the mechanism works and dont want to damage it with screwdrivers and pliers but it is similar in design to a bonnet latch. The seat was definitely latching properly before so something has gone wrong with it today.

I can lift the squab (Backrest) to the upright position and latch it at the side with a squeeze but it is obviously out of position and it will strain the latches on the side of the squab.

I hope this description is clear. I have uploaded a couple of photos, one comparing the two sides and the other showing one of the the defective latches.

Has anyone else come across this one and have any idea how to solve it because I'm stumped.

Brian:confused:

As you try and close it pull handle up at the same time, that should work.

Goodluck
Alan

Thanks Alan,

It took a bit of pulling on the handle but eventualy the two pins clicked into the right position and then it was back to normal.

Oddly enough when the seat would not latch down I noticed the cushion and squab had not locked tight together (which they are supposed to so the seat can be lifted out easily). The locking pin mechanism must be connected to this because when they clicked into the right configuration I found the squab and cushion were locked together properly. Once the seat cushion was latched to the floor I just had to press on the backrest as usual to unlock it so it could be raised into place.

I'm guessing I didnt pull the release handle hard enough when I was folding the seat originally (it does feel flimsy) and the mechanism ended up caught between two stages. At least I will know next time.

Cheers,

Brian

This thread helped med a lot!!

Thanx for being there/here for me/us, you all A2 enthusiasts!!

Love this forum.

Last edited:
Back