which shocks to buy?

cjscos

i have replaced the roll bar bushes and noticed the shocks are done. (thanks to the great info on this site:D). it tends to bottom out and knock from the passenger side on humps.

what price are the fronts shocks from audi or what does any one recomend fitting as aftermarket replacements?

i know koni do good ones but there a bit out of my budget...:eek:

will lupo shocks fit an a2 1.4 petrol? g max do them at a very reasonable price but they dont list them for the a2.

any help appreciated

Worth the money? Oh yes!

Seriously, if you have a Sport midel, fitting Koni FSDs and Weitec springs is probably the biggest improvement you can make to the car - ride is much smoother, with large bumps handled so much better - it makes the car feel like a bigger model, in that everything is so much more settled and planted. Cornering is mcuh improved too - just ask Birdsd01, who was treated to a demo in Tank on Thursday!

Cheers,

Mike

Fsd

I would recommend FSDs but not the springs.
I still have my old shocks if you are interested and yours are completely gone

Last edited:
skipton, woudl you recommend the koni FSD's to anything other than the sports version?

...would it make a difference to say the SE setup?

I have read somewhere else on this forum (pls correct me if wrong) that the sports setup is not much different to the SE setup, apparently the difference is the 17" low profile wheels and the springs/shocks used?!?

Cheers

ours is the 1.4 basic edition if that helps? thats the major compliant we have is the crashing over holes and bumps. i would like to keep the standard spring/ride height due to the mrs working up country lanes etc here in cumbria...

really, really, go read the Bilstein vs FSD threads. FSDs will work fine if you want comfort, B6 will give more "sport". The reason I'm not going FSD is mainly that they work better in warmer conditions (i.e. above zero) and I have that for half a year only. FSDs will, if anything, raise the height slightly.

There's minor differences in spring rates and shocks for the "sport" setup but I don't think anyone anywhere has really been able to say exactly what it is. I'm also very skeptical about the difference between "SE" and "normal" - is there an entry on the car sticker for a suspension change?

Bret

Deseli, the FSD dampers will enhance the ride of ANY A2, but especially the sport, with its rubber band thin tyres.

The man to advise you to the ultimate degree is Schnelletrecker - he is the absolute authority on A2 suspension and has posted many detailed threads on the subject - have a search.

The Weitec springs are also recommended and you can choose between standard ride height and a 30mm lowered option.

Cheers,

Mike

Worth the money? Oh yes!

Seriously, if you have a Sport midel, fitting Koni FSDs and Weitec springs is probably the biggest improvement you can make to the car - ride is much smoother, with large bumps handled so much better - it makes the car feel like a bigger model, in that everything is so much more settled and planted. Cornering is mcuh improved too - just ask Birdsd01, who was treated to a demo in Tank on Thursday!

Cheers,

Mike

Hi cjscos,

I can testify to the difference the Koni's and Wietecs make. We were back to back driving my 2002 SE (all standard) with Mike's Sport model with the modified suspension. The cornering in his A2 is astonishing (for such a narrow track car), and yes it is a bit stiffer, but no less compliant, and I would have to say it is probably more comfortable. It also doesn't crash over road defects in the same way. If I could afford to do both I would do it tomorrow, but funds don't allow! Mike's was also on 17" wheels ca to my 16"s, so it managed to take the edge of these aswell.

I will be saving up for these!

David

sounds like they are worth the money then. will leave it a month, then buy some i think as they sound good....:cool:

Well, to sum up:

75 HP 1.4 TDI & 90 HP 1.4 TDI & 1.6 FSI:

- best comfort results incl improved handling:

- further improved handling (about 15 mm of lowering net):
  • BILSTEIN B6 + WEITEC 30/30 or 30/00 mm sport springs

- ultimate sporty handling combined with distinct lowering:

75 HP 1.4 petrol:

- best comfort results incl improved handling:

- further improved handling (about 15 mm of lowering net):
  • KONI FSD + ABT sport springs (front #045VA, rear #046HA)
    BILSTEIN B6 + ABT sport springs (front #045VA, rear #046HA)

- ultimate sporty handling combined with distinct lowering (e.g. 50/40 or 50/30 mm):

These are the two main German Koni FSD threads:

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=23386
http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=31539

:)

Back