Water on the inside of the windows

Has the windscreen been replaced recently?
A couple of members reported similar water ingress problems due to poor sealing of the new screen.

Cheers Spike

hi no i dont think its had a new screen , ive only had the car for 5 months and when i got it it had a big scratch on the screen confused if i remove the mats and pull the carpet up you could wring them out like a bath sponge theres that much water:confused:

If the screen continues to mist up after cleaning then you may have a faulty sensor in the aircon. Could be worth having a diagnostic scan to check.
Cheers Spike

Thanks Spike. What is the sensor measuring and what action is being taken?

Thanks Spike. What is the sensor measuring and what action is being taken?

Hi Alan

There are five (4 temp and 1 pressure) sensors which control aircon function. On my car the G263 sensor, which monitors evapourator outlet temp, failed, resulting in the car misting up on a regular basis. See link for more info
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4542&highlight=climate+sensor
There are many other possibilities for reduced aircon performance but its probably a good idea to have a diagnostic scan and eliminate sensor problems before considering a re-gas etc

Cheers Spike

hi bret thanks for the reply, yep all windows shut the only noise is on the motorway a bit of wind noise as if the window is very slightly open,im going to take the front carpets out this weekend and then hose pipe it then see if anything runs in, maybe from the windscreen if so seal it around with clear sealant ive put papers under the carpets for now to soak up the water if i leave it and it rains i will look like a fish in bowl theres that much water:)

if it's noisy, you might want to check the position of the doors - humps had a thread on that recently with pics 'n' stuff :)

Bret

Thanks Spike

Informative reply and interesting thread you ref. though I note that "The attached illustration shows the location of the sensor" is now lost.

It's behaving at the moment so I'll see what happens but if it plays up again then I'm off for a scan.

Cleaned mine today with the newspaper idea.

I wetted the newspaper a bit and then rubbed in cicrcular motions to try and lift the grease off, to me it didn't seem to work as the newspaper didn't look very dirty, i then took some kitchen roll and buffed it, this again didn't look very dirty.

I did notice that a lot of dirt gathers underneath the rear boot spoiler, which may be misleading me into thinking the inside of the rear screen was dirty when infact the dirt is on the outside.

I also successfully managed to remove the stickers that the previous owner had plastered all over the screen which to me is a good job done overall.:)

Note, there is another problem with the A2 which people sometimes get when driving. If the outside temp drops to +5 degrees then the inside of the windscreen can suddenly mist up with huge amounts of condensation. Quite sudden and scary. Dealer suggested the automatically controlled vents may be stuck open. A diagnostic scan apparently will show this. Maybe this could be the problem with condensation whilst parked.

I think I know what causes this to happen, specifically relating to 5 deg C. Most VAG auto climate systems turn the air con off below 5 deg C (I've had a Passat and Golf, currently have A2 + A6 all with essentially the same system). The dealers and handbooks say that this is to avoid "icing" in cold weather.

There is no way to force the compressor on and even when in Auto, at low temps the air con is off. You can tell it happens because you have to manually adjust the fan to keep the windows clear.

Not a useful feature IMO, you really need the air con on a cold wet day.

I don't want to confuse the AC/Climate Control related thread, but my A2 has the standard turny knob type heater setup (i.e. not Climate :().

A few weeks back I was getting terrible water buildup on my windscreen, so I tried a few glass cleaners (Autoglym etc) and nothing seemed to help that much. Until I recently purchased some of this:

http://www.autobestbuy.co.uk/shop/p...tory-cat-strKeywords--SearchFor--PT_ID-90.asp

Now I doubt it cures the water build entirely, but since I cleaned my windscreen (inside and out) with this Comma stuff the condensation has been very rare almost none existent. It still mists up a tiny bit, but a quick blast with the heater and it disappears (AND the glass is completely smear free).

...o and it smells nice too! :)

I think I know what causes this to happen, specifically relating to 5 deg C. Most VAG auto climate systems turn the air con off below 5 deg C (I've had a Passat and Golf, currently have A2 + A6 all with essentially the same system). The dealers and handbooks say that this is to avoid "icing" in cold weather.

There is no way to force the compressor on and even when in Auto, at low temps the air con is off. You can tell it happens because you have to manually adjust the fan to keep the windows clear.

Not a useful feature IMO, you really need the air con on a cold wet day.

Hi Gonzo,

Sounds very plausible. Air Con goes off but heater presumably stays / goes on but perhaps there is a period between the two when the heater is not at a sufficient temp to absorb the moisture (warmer air can absorb more moisture).

If this is indeed the way it is supposed to work, then I agree, not a useful feature.

Back