advice sought in preparation of dashboard removal

jwdorst

Helllo everyone,

I would appreciate any and all information, tips, tricks, and warnings about the proces of removing the dashboard of my 2004, LHD, TDI 90 with climate control.

I have removed the steering wheel, all the trim under the dash on the driver side (left in my case), the glove compartment and the the trim under the centre console. I have also removed the instrument pod. I have removed the lower A-pillar trim.

After having browsed around this great web site the following questions remain unanswered (in random order):

1. has anybody ever done a 'how to' document on dashboard removal?

2. are all the necessary fasteners accessible from inside, or do I need to undo things from the engine bay side aswell?

3. how many fasteners should I be looking for (roughly)?

4. do I need to first remove all the vents, lighting switch, climate control and radio from the dashboard before tackling the dash itself?

5. must I remove the upper A-pillar trim aswell?

6. Do I require any special tools (I have access to all the regular tools, plus torx and spline (?) bits (as used for the steering wheel nut).

7. Will I have to sever any cables, conduits, tubes etc? Or can everything be disconnected properly?

8. Will I be able to drive the car without the dashboard if necessary?

9. Does anyone have pics of what the dashboard looks like (out of the car!), and what the car looks like with the dashboard removed?

All your comments much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks Bret,

Fantastic link! I am also registered with the German site (I'm Dutch, and can read German fairly well). However, I had been searching their site for 'armaturenbrett' instead of 'schalttafel'.

Thanks again.

JW

you're not the only one. I've added the link to the end of the big thread on removal, should be easier to find now.

Bret

1. yeah, I have a collection of pictures what I was going to organise into a guide. But I never got round to doing it. Well my glove box light is still not working so my instructions may not be the best ;-) LOL

2. dont need to do anything in the engine bay

3. not fasterners as such, but lots of torx screws to undo. Best refer to ElsaWin manual

4. Not the side vents, only the middle 2. Also CC, radio, cup holders + emergency light switch, sotrage box(es), sunlight sensor. Removing gear stick will also give a little more room for removal/refit, but not necessary.

5. You don't need to remove it nor the quaterlight suround. But I found re-fitting a lot easier if at least one of the upper A trim is removed, a little more space to work with. To remove it, I found best to somehow undo the lowest clip first, then you can slide the trim downwards (with some force) so the clips are positioned into the wider slot and you can just lift it out.

6. no, M20 star key for steering wheel is the only 'special' tool.

7. Disconnect your battery :) and watchout for the sunlight sensor cable. Also remember to disconnect the indicator relay box before pulling out the dash. I learnt it with a broken one...

8. Yes, as long as the steering wheel is there. I've driven mine with the dash off and CC hanging off the cables. (comes with the usual 'don't try this at home')

9. I'll attach the picture of bare front.

Attachments

• A2_strip_interior.jpg
    A2_strip_interior.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 1,693
Hi Humps,

Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated. A couple of questions:

- How do I remove the center vents?
- How do I remove the cup holders and emergency light switch?
- How do I remove the sunlight sensor?

Are all these just a matter of carefull prying?

You refer to ElsaWin. I understand that this is the official information source used by Audi workshops. Is this information readily available to the general public, or is it a matter of getting ones hands on copies of the required documentation through unofficial channels?

Thanks,
JW

To remove the central column components, follow this procedure:

Remove the radio, using the appropriate tools (Audi keys or those of the manufacturer for aftermarket units).

There will be 2 screws revealed - undo these (cross head) and then carefully lever out the complete centre vent and cupholder assembly. Invert to see the wire attached to the hazard light switch and remove this.

Open the ashtray and then put your hands in the storage tray (if present), palms together. Try to make a fist with each hand and then sharply tug out the storage tray - it will be very stiff!

Once this is removed, you will see 2 screws that must be undone to remove the ashtray and then disconnect the wire at the back to the light.

Carefully push out the climate control panel from the back - there are only 4 little clips, 1 near each corner, but they are stiff.

Don;t forget the flasher relay that should now be easily visible at the back of the centre column.

To remove the sun sensor, prise off the small cover at the side of the raised section to reveal the securing screw. Undo the screw and lift the sensor up. Undo the connector at the back and then lower it back through the hole. When the dash is out, you should tie a piece of string to the connector so that you can feed it through the hole in the dash and so pull the wire back up to reconnect the sun sensor.

There are many sources for ELSAWin, Ebay is always a good place to start!

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike!,

Regarding ElsaWin. What should I be looking for? CD's I assume? Do i need proprietary software and keys to read the data? Is the stuff on Ebay cracked? Should I be on the look out for specific versions / updates?

Can you give me a 2 sentence brief?

Thanks,
JW

Merry Christmas everyone.

I'll be spending my Christmas holiday removing my dashboard. Have ordered ElasWin, but don't really have time to wait for it to arrive. Have removed everything out of the dashboard that looks like it has to be removed.

Only question now is: roughly how many screws shoulds be expect to find in the final removal phase? I imagine they will be more or less evenly distributed along the dashboard. Are there any screws that aren't readily visible? (with readily I mean: that aren't visible, even with use of a powerfull torch and suspended upside down like a contortionist under the dashboard?).

Also, is removal of the passenger side airbag required? Had a look, and doesn't appear to be necessary.

As usual, all input appreciated.

Thanks,
JW

Last edited:
Update: have started removal of dashboard. Driver side is nice and loose now. Passenger still firmly attached. Are the screws behind the passenger airbag that I should be undoing?

Also, once all the screws are removed, does the dash remove easily? Or should I expect to have to do a fair bit of tugging? If so, in which direction?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
JW

You'll need to remove the passenger airbag itself and then undo the 4 x 10mm bolts at either side of it, which hold the airbag brackets to the dash and the main body of the car.

Once the retaining screws are all out, the dash will come out fairly easily, but you'll need to do some skilled maneouvring around the gear knob and then around the handbrake and seats.

It can be done by one person (I've just removed mine today!), but is easier with 2.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

I've loosened the airbag, but how do I disconnect it electrically? I mean, how do I manipulate the yellow connector on the back of the airbag that is partially covered by rip-stop cloth? Or do I disconect further down the line?

JW

You do disconnect at that yellow plug:

There is a flip up cover - open this and then you'll see the release catch. Press it in and then remove the plug.

Cheers

Mike

Done!

Passenger side of the dashboard is now nice and loose aswell. There seems to be a retaining screw tucked away deep inside (i.e. upwards, when lying with my head in the footwell looking up) and just to the passenger side of the center console (attaching to what appears to be a small section of flat bar sub frame). Does this sound right?

JW

Dashboard now appears to be completely loosened and can me moved about a bit. I'm now only struggling with the sunlight sensor. I daren't pry to much for fear of marking the dashboard.

When looked at from behind the steering wheel (LHD), where do I place my blade to pry up the cover, in relations to the sensor's bulge?

All help appreciated.

Thanks,
JW

Pry the sensor cover from either side of the hump - just insert a thin flat bladed screwdriver into the side and you'll see the cover lift a little.

Finish the job with your fingers and then get a small cross head screwdriver to the single retaining screw that is revealed. Once the screw is out, pull the hump up and out and release the connector at the back.

Cheers,

Mike

Okay, sun sensor out! Dashboard now freely moving in all directions. Any guidance on how to actually manoevre it out of the car. Where do I grab hold, on windscreen side or the passenger side? Do I ift and pull? Or tilt and pull? All suggestions appreciated.

B.t.w. I have not removed A pillar upper trim. I understand this not necessary? If it does make thing easier however, how do I go about removing the upper trim?

Thanks,
JW

Back