Climate Control Buttons

fordy

The only blemish inside my A2 is the buttons on the climate control unit. The lovely lady who owned my car before me appears to have have lovely long nails. The + / - on both the temp/fan have been scratched :mad:

1. Can I get replacement buttons?
2. If not, does anyone have a spare unit for sale?
3. Is this a common problem?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Ethan

The only blemish inside my A2 is the buttons on the climate control unit. The lovely lady who owned my car before me appears to have have lovely long nails. The + / - on both the temp/fan have been scratched :mad:

2. If not, does anyone have a spare unit for sale?
3. Is this a common problem?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Ethan

There's two types of unit, they vary with one type for single din dash and this has square edges, the other is for double din dash's and it has bottom two corners rounded, which do you have?

What are these units worth used?
Apparently there is also a colour shade difference too

SARGE

nice 1 Sarge, does this photo help?

scaled.php

Last edited:
You have the standard (more common) type of panel, with the soft touch paint (hence the scratches).

The buttons are not replaceable separately, but you can get units on Ebay (old A4 units can be robbed of buttons too).

A new unit is well over £300 from Audi, but pay no more than £70 for an Ebay example.

Cheers,

Mike

Yes but you can't buy the buttons single. So you need a spare unit. But you will never find any from any member here because 100's of peoples got the same problem so you need to go to a breaker.

There's two types of unit,

SARGE
Sure but more interesting the old (non softpaint) and 2002 and newer version, covered with the near to black soul softpaint color.
For replacing single button the single and double DIN version doesn't matter.

You have the standard (more common) type of panel, with the soft touch paint (hence the scratches).
That's all right;)

I seem to recall on an old thread about this problem there being mention of a paint which will do an acceptable job and at least avoid the hassle and cost of replacing the switches/panel.

Ernst,
do you or any of the guys on the German A2 forum have the part numbers for differant grades of black to order this stuff in the UK??

Regards

Colin

There is only one type of black. But the non-softpaint parts look more black than the actual parts, covered with this soft paint. You will find the color-code on this forum here as well.
I don't know anything more..

Colour code for the Soul Black climate control panel is 5PR. It is however strange that other soul black plastics within the cabin are coded 6PS

Cheers Spike

I wonder it is is possible to spray the buttons with a matt laquer or fix that will seal them?

I have been aware of this issue for some time and (it is common to VW parts as well) so I am very careful about touching the buttons!

I have a spary tin of ink jet sealant that you spray on prints to fix them. As it is matt you cant see it. Tempted to try it but don't want to damage the dash - If it aint broke don't fix it!

black soul Softpaint out yet (on the market)?
There was this in our German forum in October: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=30558&highlight=softlack

Audi touch up softpaint. But I don't know if it is out yet or not. So there is none who bought that already.
But see:

(translation: Audi is the first manufacturer who invented a repair solution for softpaint surfaces... ...
replacement not nessesary anymore...

That's very interesting!! I've been searching for a dealer of Alsa Corp soft touch spray cans in the UK. It is an epoxy mix'ed with thinner in a single spray can that creates a soft touch matte finish (with or without colour) which I believe is similar to the soft-touch plastic used in Audis. Erstens, do you have more info on this? are there different colour options?

BTW, I have a spare climate unit, I think it is the early version with hard, black plastic buttons. But need to check when I'm back home in a week's time ;-)

replacement unit

yes the paint does seem a good, cost effective solution but i too do have a spare climate unit if you don't find one to suit you
Paul

replacement unit

I too have a spare unit with knobs in mint condition. It came off a 2000 A2 with 45K miles. It's a soul black colour but no "softpaint" finish.

I too have a spare unit with knobs in mint condition. It came off a 2000 A2 with 45K miles. It's a soul black colour but no "softpaint" finish.

Cars before 7/2001 does not have the soft paint. So the parts needed must be model year 2002 and newer! (7/2001)
I also have a spare front with all the buttons nut also from a pre 2002 model so this does not help.

black soul Softpaint out yet (on the market)?
There was this in our German forum in October: http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=30558&highlight=softlack

Audi touch up softpaint. But I don't know if it is out yet or not. So there is none who bought that already.
But see:

(translation: Audi is the first manufacturer who invented a repair solution for softpaint surfaces... ...
replacement not nessesary anymore...

Some new information regarding the spray:
Das Spray wirds in Zukunft geben, wann genau konnte man mir aber nicht sagen. Es wurde wohl auf der letzten Automechanike vorgestellt. Ich soll doch ab und zu mal beim Freundlichen nachfragen...

Back