A little detox for the new year as things aren't what they used to be!

As some will know, my A2 is rapidly approaching 104,000 miles and as of late hasn't been running as well as it has in the past. Nothing too serious, but it's certainly not getting any younger!

I've experienced repeated momentary flat-spots at around 1,500rpm in various gears, lumpy idling from time to time and the familiar crunch between 2nd and 3rd gears when the gearbox is cold. In addition to this, the engine just hasn't been as sprightly as it usually is.

Being on the variable, but ultimately long 30,000 mile service intervals; and having last been serviced at 92,000 (it still has ~18,000 to go until the next scheduled service), I've taken the opportunity of the Christmas period to get the A2 in the garage and up on axle stands in order to do the following:

• Renew the engine oil with fresh long-interval oil
  • Replace the engine oil filter
  • Replace the air filter (ditching my now tired BMC filter for a standard paper one)
  • Replace the gearbox oil with fresh top-of-the-line Castrol fluid
  • Clean the MAF with a generous dosing of isopropyl alcohol

Then, whilst I was at it:
  • Fit a new wiperblade
  • Replace a blown numberplate illumiation bulb
  • Fit the 1.2 underbody aero parts (exhaust tunnel cover and spoiler)

Only time will tell, but hopefully the MAF cleanup will sort out the idle and flat spot issues, a new air filter will liven things up a bit and finally the gearbox oil will improve the smoothness of 2nd-3rd changes once it's worked it's way around the 'box.

Fingers crossed that the treatment has the rejuvenating effect then Ian - I've got something similar planned for Tank (when the snow has finally gone), as I need to get him up on axel stands to try and find the bl00dy speed sender (I just cannot see it from above, as you can on the 75 'box), as I've still no speedo/ABS/traction.

So, whilst he's up there, I've got a new filter and oil to drop in. I do want to do the gearbox oil too, but as there's nowhere flat around here, I can't get a level and hence the proper amount in there! Also, I'll hopefully be doing the 5th gear mod in a month or 2, so there's little point just yet.

Cheers,

mike

Fingers crossed that the treatment has the rejuvenating effect then Ian - I've got something similar planned for Tank (when the snow has finally gone), as I need to get him up on axel stands to try and find the bl00dy speed sender (I just cannot see it from above, as you can on the 75 'box), as I've still no speedo/ABS/traction.

So, whilst he's up there, I've got a new filter and oil to drop in. I do want to do the gearbox oil too, but as there's nowhere flat around here, I can't get a level and hence the proper amount in there! Also, I'll hopefully be doing the 5th gear mod in a month or 2, so there's little point just yet.

Cheers,

mike

Let's hope so Mike!

5th Gear mod.. I thought your 'box already had a taller top ratio than a 75?

Probably a good idea to leave the gearbox oil until then, or, get a garage to do it. It was an absolute PITA:
a) getting the oil in due to the filler-plugs location (in the end I used a section of garden hose and filled from above)
b) the first attempt had to be declared void given the sump plug didn't seal properly and there was evidence of leaking

I would recommend getting the oil changed however, given what came out of mine didn't look pretty!

Ian

It was done back in March when I had the drive shaft oil seals replaced, however, the drivers side is now leaking slowly again, so the oil in there is relatively fresh and can wait.

Yes, the ratios in the GRJ gearbox are very slightly taller, but I mean VERY slightly - we're talking no more than 50-100rpm at 70mph in 5th.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Ian
On the detox theme, I'd recommend a course of Redex diesel treatment or similar. It took about 1500 miles before the effects were noticible but I ended up with a 5mpg improvement in fuel consumption.

Cheers Spike

It was done back in March when I had the drive shaft oil seals replaced, however, the drivers side is now leaking slowly again, so the oil in there is relatively fresh and can wait.

Yes, the ratios in the GRJ gearbox are very slightly taller, but I mean VERY slightly - we're talking no more than 50-100rpm at 70mph in 5th.

Cheers,

Mike

I too noticed that the drive shaft seals were leaking - the one had been quite a bit. There still seemed to be plenty of lubrication in the boots so I nipped up the ties on them both for the time being.

I thought there was a bigger difference than that Mike (from the way Robin was gloating of his higher MPG's when we were away!).

Ian

Hi Ian
On the detox theme, I'd recommend a course of Redex diesel treatment or similar. It took about 1500 miles before the effects were noticible but I ended up with a 5mpg improvement in fuel consumption.

Cheers Spike

Hi Spike, in the past I've used Millers Diesel Power Sport 4 (I think!) and still have a bottle around somewhere - I may finish it off and give the A2 a course on it again. Good suggestion :)

It would appear this is about to become a growing trend! Once the weather is more amenable to outside working I will be cleaning my MAF and hopefully adding the aero bits, the exhaust I have just bought from davidkoukalis along with the 5th gear upgrade. (I am hoping Mike will develop/add the 5th gear upgrade to your growing range of services...!) i already use Millers or sometimes use V-max/Ultimate etc when I can afford it so hopefully the engine/injectors should be clean however blast of Redex might not come amiss.

Back