Part No: 8Z0 035 195 E
Component: symphony II NP2 0400
Coding: 00000
Shop #: WSC 00000

1 Fault Found:
01042 - Control Module; Not Coded
35-00 - -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I may as well fix the "fault", although I'm not aware of any symptoms.

I can see what I need to do to code it, based on the encoding table*, but there are a couple of things I'm unfamiliar with.

Does anyone know what these are?
  1. "Diversity box"
  2. "VCS"
As you can see from my sig, the car has Symphony II, Bose & multi-function steering wheel.

I reckon the coding should be 00604, assuming diversity box & VCS don't apply. Anyone care to comment/advise?

* ElsaWin: Workshop manual>Vehicle electrics>Radio...>01 Self diagniosis>Radio system self diagnosis>Encoding control unit>Encoding table as of MY 02 on

Last edited:
A diversity box is the control unit that selects the strongest radio signal and feeds it to your headunit.

There's 2 ways of telling if you have one: if you have a green coaxial plug on the back of the radio, you have one, or, look in the boot next to the battery and if there's a mass of wires behind the rectangular space in there, you have one too.

VCS is voice control system and you'll obviously know if you have this.

Cheers,

Mike

Tip - change your workshop number from 00000 to something else, as a few control units won't change coding values unless it is set to a valid number.

Thanks Mike.

Good tip - I can see 4 different workshop codes in the log. Most common is Shop #: WSC 02138. I guess this is the factory. Is there a way for the public to look these up?

I'll probably use this one for anything I change where the WSC was 00000, and let VCDS leave as-is everything else as and when I change it.

Generally, if any workshop code is left as 00000, then it's been altered by a VCDS system, as all Audi workshops have their own numbers.

No, there's no way for the public to access these numbers, but you can sometimes find them on invoices and other documents.

Cheers,

Mike

A diversity box is the control unit that selects the strongest radio signal and feeds it to your headunit.

There's 2 ways of telling if you have one: if you have a green coaxial plug on the back of the radio, you have one, or, look in the boot next to the battery and if there's a mass of wires behind the rectangular space in there, you have one too.

I'm not sure if this constitutes a mass of wires - is this photo good enough to tell? I've ordered 4 radio removal tools in case I need them, but I'd rather not take it out!

Yes, you have a diversity system.

If you have proper removal keys, then there's no harm in removing your radio - it's something that needs removing anyway when you need to replace your indicator relay (no, I'm not trying to put a curse on your perfectly working relay, but trying to encourage greater understanding of how your car goes together).

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks again.

Actually, possible relay replacement is exactly the reason I ordered the removal tools :)

Can I check a few more things?
  1. CD Changer - built into Symphony, so I'm assuming I should treat as not fitted.
  2. Telephone - there's no OEM phone kit installed but I may one day fit a Nokia car kit and wire it to the mute connection (I've done this on the Touran). I'm assuming this relates to a factory fit only, so treat as not fitted.
  3. Fader OFF. I'm assuming I should not "select" this option if I want to be able to fade front to rear.
  4. BOSE display on - I assume this just sets it to display the word BOSE when switched on. It already does this with no coding.
  5. Active amp deactivation during phone call - I assume I want this on in case I fit the car kit (no harm if not fitted).

Mark, correct on all 5 questions. You should only really code Bose if you have a Bose amp though, as it's a bit cheesy otherwise!

Main thing is, if you're only playing around with coding bits on the radio, you'll not harm anything if you get it wrong, so don't be too scared of having a dabble - it's a learning thing!

Cheers,

Mike

Back