Aftermarket Radio

john-wingnut

Hi peeps

If I want to change the Audi Head unit for an after market one, do i need to buy an ISO adaptor thing??

Cheers

John

Yes but check as i went through 3 at halfords (autoleads) get them to check, plus you will need a arial adapter(booster thing) and the face plate adapters as well

Cheers Phil

No get them(Halfords or whoever you get the kit from) to check with Autoleads as the first 2 was wrong so they rang them direct to get the right 1 as there is 3 listed for the A2

Cheers Phil

The Audi head units do not power the rear speakers directly, but through a little separate amp that sits under the passenger footwell.
So there are 2 solutions with a new head unit :
  • power the rear speakers with the integrated amp of the headunit : that means some rewiring to bypass the amp
  • continue to use the little amp, if the head unit has pre-out plugs. Some little wiring job would be also required I guess, unless an adapter exists ? (Cinch to ISO)

Hi
Is there an upgraded double din unit from other models that share a2 wiring setup!!!

You can always fit the RNS-E, as long as you have CAN and are prepared to shell out around £400 or so on the unit itself.

I have retrofitted one and they are superb - great sat nav, great display and great phone integration (with the optional BT module).

Cheers.

Mike

Sorry Mike just saw your model details were all 2001s fitted with CAN?
have you any pictures of fit is it the a4 model?

It's the A6 model (although I am told that any RnS-E can be recoded to work) and not all 2001s had CAN - the easiest way to tell is to whip out the headunit and look at the black 20-pin connector - there should be an orange/brown and an orange/black wire in pin numbers 7 & 12.

Cheers,

Mike

Will pop that out and check!!
been looking on e-bay and seen some cheaper ones 250-300 so if have Can might just treat myself!
Ref Recoding do they all need it ??

Cheers
dave

What is the differance between Rns-d and Rns-e other than cost would an Rns-d fit straight in without me having to mess around too much?

Cheers
dave

RNS-E is the modern version of the D - it has up to date maps (I have the 2009 discs, which contain the entire road network for Western Europe, with loads of points of interest data and phone numbers).

It also has 2 SD card slots, capable of taking 2 x 2Gb cards full of music and the control surface is far more intuitive than the D.

Oh, and it has a larger, more detailed widescreen display.

Cheers,

Mike

The Audi head units do not power the rear speakers directly, but through a little separate amp that sits under the passenger footwell.
So there are 2 solutions with a new head unit :
  • power the rear speakers with the integrated amp of the headunit : that means some rewiring to bypass the amp
  • continue to use the little amp, if the head unit has pre-out plugs. Some little wiring job would be also required I guess, unless an adapter exists ? (Cinch to ISO)

If you get the right Autoleads iso connecter it does it all for you, and yes Halfords do sell the arieal booster adapter

Cheers Phil

Back