New Style Keys - An Update

Skipton01

Admin Team
As many of you know, I can now offer the coding and matching of the new style keys for the A2 and several members have already taken advantage of this service.

There have been a couple of occasions where the remote key fob does not work however and now that I have sufficient cases to examine, a pattern has emerged:

It would appear that those of you with central convenience modules ending in the letter Q (8Z0 959 433Q) can not take advantage of the newer style key, as although the stated transmitter frequency is the same (433.92mHz), it just is not recognised by the cccu.

So, before you set your heart on a new key, please check that the cccu is NOT a Q type. The ones with best compatibility seem to be the AE parts, closely followed by the AF ones.

Hope this is of some use to those thinking of getting a new key.

With the huge growth in A2 ownership sourced from the secon-hand market, there are a growing number of owners who get a car and only have one key supplied - why someone would want to keep a key (a memento!?) is beyond me and it is obviously a security risk as there are key(s) out there that can be used to steal your car.

If anyone is in this position, I can also disable ALL old keys so that they will NOT be able to start the car. They can still be used to physically open the car in the door lock, but neither the remote fob nor the immobiliser transponder will work after I've recoded the existing key(s) and any new ones you may want.

Cheers,

Mike

Sorry Mike I thought you already knew that. I informed/stopped several members from buying the new style keys as they weren't compatible with their comfort units saving them considerable hassle and money, whilst upgrading others for this feature/facility. :)

Cheers

Sarge

Anyone want two 220Q keys give me a pm as mine is 433q unit there no good to me
got blades and transponders
just pm

i'll ask the silly question... where do i look to see if mine is a 433Q or not ??

Not a silly question. If you lift the carpet in the passengers footwell, and then remove the silver plate, there will be a black box staring at you. This is the Convenience Unit which has the part number 8Z0 959 433, then followed by letters like 'E, F, Q, AE or AF'

Cheers

Sarge

Back