Hub Nut problem... Help!

GS7A

I was going to put my Koni FSDs on today but found that both Hub Nuts (12Pt 36mm) are rounded off!!! Any idea how to get the damn things off? They are recessed within the hub so there is no way that you can get a nut splitter on them :( Does anybody know if it is possible to remove the struts without removing the hub as stated in ElsaWin?

It is pretty straightforward to take the struts off without removing the hubs - you just need to remove the pinch bolt at the bottom of the strut (in the hub housing) and then use a wedge to open the hub a touch.

Then, tap off the bottom and undo the top 3 bolts in the engine bay!

Cheers,

Mike

PS You do know that it's a 36mm bi-hex socket needed for the hub nuts don't you?

Hi Mike, thanks for your prompt reply. Yes I bought a 36mm Bi-hex socket and new hub nuts to do the job; but it looks like some numpty has used an air ratchet on the existing nuts as they are very nearly round! I'll try replacing the struts tomorrow without splitting the hub. Thanks again.

Phil H

Hi Phil
The early hub nuts were pressed steel. They look quite substantial from the outside but when removed are rather flimsy - quite unlike the 'forged' replacements. If the original bi-hex has still some of the 'points' remaining it may be possible to hammer on a smaller socket. Failing that you could probably drill round the nut face, leaving a threaded sleeve which could be carefully ground down to the thread peaks then split. (Wish I had kept one of the old style nuts to show their construction)

The link to the fitting guide (German A2oc) in the attached post may help with your installation - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=75276&postcount=33

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Back