Stone chips on headlights removal - any ideas?

birdsd01

A2OC Donor
Hi folks,

Since my recent badger incident will result in a new bumper (without 70k miles of stone chips!). I have been looking for the best way to remove the small stone chips on the headlights. Close up is looks like they have been sandblasted. I have tried some simple polishes, and my old favourite toothpaste, but none of them seem to make a difference. Any bright ideas? ;)

I have seen mention on detailing world of using sandpaper (2000 grit) and then polishing with a dual action sander and some car polish. Has anyone tried this?? Sounds a bit brutal!

Suggestions gladly taken :confused:

David

Hi David
I have a scrap plastic front from an A5 headlight which you could experiment with if you want to give it a go. You would need a sanding block to use with the 'wet or dry' paper to prevent getting ripples in the plastic and possibly work down from 500 grit if the chips have any depth. If you are intersted you could either collect it from me or possibly one of my friends dotted around the NE. Failing that I could mail it to you for the price of the postage. PM me with your details if you want to arrange something

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike, PM will be sent asap. If I have any success I will post with before and after pictures.

Thanks,

David

I had small marks in this plastic, using 1500 &2000 grit then finishing compound. All was done using a small wheel from Farecla in a variable speed drill
Brought it up a treat:)

Malc

Thank everyone, I have got hold of an old A4 headlamp cover to practise on (thanks Spike) this weekend. So will post the results with the obligatory before and after shots!

Cheers,

David

Thank everyone, I have got hold of an old A4 headlamp cover to practise on (thanks Spike) this weekend.
Cheers,

David

Hi David

Glad to hear the courrier service worked. For a realistic test, try putting some deepish scratches in the plastic first then polish them out.

Cheers Spike

Some of the new headlamps have got some sort of coating on them and when you flat and polish them they edge back, leaving a ring on the lamp face, on and old Focus i polished out 320 grit scratches that a preper put in the lamp but it did leave ripples in the lamp as its plastic and it just doesn't come up like metal and paint

Phil

Well I had a go at sanding and polishing my headlamps on Saturday. See for yourself the results.

The steps I followed were;
1. Masking them off.
2. Wet sanding them with 1500 grit wet and dry (soaked in warm water for 15 mins), using a sanding block. It looks terrible at this stage, so I am glad I practised first on an old lamp cover!
3. Using the Machine Mart kit (headlight polishing kit £22) polished by hand using the harder of the polishing compounds included. Worked the polish in using a microfibre cloth for about 5 mins per lamp. Wiped off polish residue with a clean cloth
4. Using the drill attachment, pads supplied and the lighter polishing compound. I worked the polish in for about 15 mins per lamp. Used only medium speed on the drill, and added more polish when it dried out.
5. Removed the tape, and polished using Autoglym SRP, a random orbital sander with a finishing pad.
6. Wiped over with a clean microfibe to remove any residues.

The results are OK, the small scratches and marks are gone, but the deeper pits remain, perhaps I needed to be braver!! I am happy, since they both look more transparent and have a much better shine to them. Pictures below show before, during (after sanding step :eek:) and after, and the tools used. Oh and a shot of the whole car, with new bumper and shiny headlights!! She looks sweet! :D:D:D

Cheers,

David

Excellent write up, I have deeply pitted/scratched lenses so i shall invest in one of these Machine mart kits and get mine polished back up. :)

Hi Keith,

The kit didn't get rid of the deep pits, but all the scratches and hazing is now gone. In hindsight :))) perhaps I would now use a 1000 grit wet and dry first, then the 1500. I would also consider changing the way I sanded, I only went side to side, maybe a circular motion would have yielded better results?

They look lots better though, even on my terrible pictures :eek: Not quite good enough for "detailing world" just yet ;)

David

Hi Keith,

In hindsight :))) perhaps I would now use a 1000 grit wet and dry first, then the 1500. I would also consider changing the way I sanded, I only went side to side, maybe a circular motion would have yielded better results?

David

Hi David
Regarding your technique, next time try sanding longways with the 1000 grit then at 90 deg to the scratch marks with 1500g. Keep going until all the 1000g marks disappear. For really deep marks you could even start with 600g, again working at 90 deg to the scratch marks at each change of paper.

Nice job by the way

Cheers Spike

What kit did you buy from Machine Mart David?:)

Hi Keith, it was a "Headlight polishing kit" for glass, but in the small print on the back it said it was safe to use on all plastics. It was ~£22, which is for 2 grades of polish, a sealant, a drill madrel and velcro disc, 6 polishing pads and a microfibre cloth.

Cheers,

David

looks good anyone tried on glass? i managed to scratch the rear offside passenger door window when loading up cant really see it from the outside though when you sit in the back it looks naff

Back