lambda sensor?

steve0

02 sensor heater circuit,bank 1-sensor1 electrical malfunction( 17604)

Linear 02 sensor / reference voltage open circuit(17589)
this is the report on my codes. is this the lambda sensor? if so which one? also how much are these to buy and how easy are they to fit? thankyou..

This is how one club member fixed the 17589 fault code - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=45241&postcount=11
No guarantee's but its likely that changing this sensor will fix both your fault codes.
02 (oxygen) and Lambda are just different descriptions of the same sensor.

Note. before changing components its always wise to check for broken wires or bad connectors

Cheers Spike

For info, positions of the 2 lambda sensors (item 4 & 17) are shown on the attached diagram

Cheers Spike

Last edited:
Hi steve
I'm pritty sure your car shoul still run even with those error codes. Have been able to check for a good spark and fuel getting into the combustion chambers yet.
Regards Malcolm

hi malc, the next morning i tried to start my car and bingo..it started,the E/M light even went off..but shortl;y after the light came back on. The car still starts and runs normal,just got to get this E/M light to go now.This is why im on about the sensor. code 17604. hopefully it is just this .. ill let you know the outcome.
cheers bud..

I had the garage who did the MOT check for errors as my engine light is always on -it came back with 02 sensor problem. Fine, I'll buy a new one.
Now I've realised there are 2 pre and post cat. Do I need to change them both?
(AUA 1.4 motor)?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

the error code will indicate which sensor is causing the fault. I had the error code before (pre-cat), but it hasn't come back since I keep using good fuel (v-power). They are not cheap from Audi/VW at ~£120. But plenty of cheaper alternatives for <£40 if you're willing to do a bit of research and may be do your own soildering.

If you're not getting an official Ross Tech cable, I believe the ebay cables are 1/2 that price (at least the one I bought, which looks exactly like your link) delivered. Mind you my A2 is old and non CAN bus and should work with that cable, I'm not too sure about newer ones. But my friend's Ross Tech proper works with pre CAN bus as well as CAN.

Thanks for the advice Humps -My A2 is 2001 which qualitfies as old in my book. I'll have a look out for an ebay version.
Is the CAN bus a type of interface/connector?

the error code will indicate which sensor is causing the fault.

I have the same error code as above (17604 - Oxygen (Lambda) O2 Sensor Heater Circ.,Bank1-Sensor1 Electrical Malfunction) -does this indicate the pre-cat sensor?

i think it is. couple of screws to move the exhaust manifold heat shield out of the way and you should see it and may be reach in with a 22mm spanner for replacement. Give is a search on the forum, someone's done it before. I was prepared to do mine but as it is, v-power keeps the engine happy every time! When the fault code is on, the MPG really suffers but car is still drivable, although it isn't as responsive.

I'll have a look today -As I understand it thought there are two o2 sensors, one being further down the exhuast, after tha cat.
I'm thinking logically the first to fail would be the pre-cat sensor as it's in a harsher environment, but I was hoping the code would take the guesswork out.

replaced the sensor on the exhaust manifold, cleared the error code and no problems. No more stuttering when engine is cold

well done and hopefully that'll be it!

BTW, did you get the sensor from Audi (~£120)? or an aftermarket (£40-120)?

well I looked around a few months back and seemed to remember a cheaper option if you were prepared to use the harness off the old sensor.

I couldn't find one anywhere when I searched and bought an OEM 5 wire wideband NTK/NGK sensor from 'Lamdapower' for +-£120. Very good service.

Back