power steering intermittant ??

stuart o

Hi,

as above my 1.4 SE steering seems to lose power assistance and seems very nervous just off centre - allmost oversteering for a brief moment, q unnerving if you're not expecting it. Local VAG indie interrogated the ECU and it noted the N/S abs sensor faulty !! - does this sound plausible ?? no brake warning lights came on but the amber steering wheel and exclamation mark comes on now and again - any experience of this you guys ??

Hi
For starters I'd check the fluid level in the power steering reservoir. Its located under the passenger side headlamp hich needs to be removed for access. Not done the job myself but I think Skipton mentioned there is a dipstick built into the cap of the reservoir. If its low, buy the genuine VW/Audi power steering fluid for top-up.
The abs sensor may also be faulty but I don't think the problems are related

Cheers Spike

hello my Power assisted steering is making a strange noise like rokrokrok. can some one show me where is the reservoir a picture or something ;) thanks and my english is very bad loool

The fluid reservoir and the pump are combined in one unit which is under the right headlamp (as you stand and look into the engine bay).

It has a cap that has a built in dipstick to check the fluid level.

Cheers,

Mike

hello my Power assisted steering is making a strange noise like rokrokrok. can some one show me where is the reservoir a picture or something ;) thanks and my english is very bad loool

As we said in a previous post you need to remove the headlamp (drivers side on LHD cars) to see the reservoir. The picture shows the green cap of the reservoir. Remove this to check the dipstick as Skipton indicated

Cheers Spike

Does the engine need to be running when checking the level or just dip it?
Something rings a bell from somewhere but I can't remember what it is that rings what type of bell from where :eek:

Back