Anti Role Bar

john-wingnut

Has anyone changed there anti role bar on here??

I have just fitted FSDs and was gonna do anti role bar at same time but realised you cant just take it out.

Just after a quick how to from someone who has done it..

John

I fitted the new style ARB when i fitted FSD's last year.

Release drop-links and the rear sub frame has to be lowered to allow the ARB to pass through after the bush brackets are released ( sorry i didn't take any pics when i did this) just mark up the sub frame so it goes back in the same place if you don't you'll need to get your tracking checked. mines been fine no scrubbing

If you do a search you'll find more in depth HOW TO'S on this

Cheers Phil

I thought it was just held on by a few bolts that locate in set holes??

When you say mark it up, what am i marking / where etc?
JOhn

When you are under the car and looking up at the sub frame, you'll mark up where the sub frame sits on the chassis, it will be clear when you are under there

Phil

I thought it was just held on by a few bolts that locate in set holes??

When you say mark it up, what am i marking / where etc?
JOhn

The subframe has elongated holes and is designed to be moved side to side to equalise the front wheel camber. You need to get it back in exactly the same position or you end up needing the wheel alignment reset.
Audi use special pins to locate the subframe while doing the job. Laser sell a similar set but they are expensive - http://www.lasertools.co.uk/item.aspx?cat=0&item=4820

Cheers Spike

PS. You don't need the guide pins if as Phil indicated, you carefully mark the sub frame position before dis-assembly and bolt it back in exactly the same place.

Last edited:
This sounds like something I may give a miss.

Will get my mechanic friend to sort it I think, as dont fancy messing wheel camber up.

John

How do you lower it?? - the subframe that is!!!

Do you have to use a trolley jack, or can you just unbolt it and let it down on its own?

JOhn

Last edited:
If you're doing it without a lift, you'll need to get the car on axel stands (put them under the sills) and then get a trolley jack under the middle of the subframe and undo the nuts. When loose, you can start to lower the jack and let it take the weight of the subframe.

Cheers,

Mike

Back