A2 fog lamp removal

vorsprung

Hi guys
I know front fog lamps have been discussed in detail on this site from a retro fit perspective but I cant find any posts referring to how to replace a front fog lamp. Mine is broken and could do with some assistance if possible.

I googled and found an article on A2OC referring to a how to guide that was going to be posted in the 'download' section back in 2004 - but I cant find this section :confused:
If anyone has any ideas tips or tricks would appreciate a post here
Cheers
V

Hi

What you do is prise open the black covers which slot into the grill.
Pop a flat head screwdriver between grill and cover and prise outwards.
The clips will pop out and you can remove the cover.

The fog lights are held in place by two screws. Remove these.

Unlcip the connector on the back for the wire and remove.

To get to the bulb inside, hold the front and then firmly twist the black backing, I believe anti clockwise, and then pull away from the front part.

Install in reverse order

John

Just to add to John's post; try a flat wall paper scraper/filler tool to remove the fog light surround. Given that the blade is much wider than a screw driver, it won't "dig in" and damage the plastic. If you use a screwdriver, try to apply a small amount of thin tape to minimise any damage.

Darren

I use a screwdriver in line with the clips, and have yet to damage the plastics. Just depends on how careful you are.

Terrific! thank you all, I'll give this a bash tonight. Good job I double checked I figured you had to get to it from inside the engine bay!
Cheeers
V

Its possible to 'spring' the tabs using your fingers, working through the lower grille. Ref the attached pics, just check the position of the tabs from the grille side them push them in to release the leading edge. Swivel the grille outwards to release the outer tabs and remove.

Cheers Spike

Thanks again to all who contributed on this, I changed the smashed unit today and following the tips posted all went according to plan. Turned out to be a piece of cake in the end, but may well have been a different story without the knowledge shared on these here pages - so thank you.:)
Happy bank holiday weekend everyone, may the sun shine on us all!
Cheers
V

I replaced my smashed fog light yesterday. Bought the light on ebay for £40 and took about 10 minutes to do. I got quoted a fortune from my local VW garage to replace it. The one from ebay was new and fitted perfectly :)

Back