Climate control buttons

Dan_A2

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what to do about the climate control buttons on my A2 which i pick up Friday. Also the Switches on the drivers door for locking it etc.

Basically the black coating has been worn away by previous owners, and you can just about make out what each button is meant to do.

Ive searched google and ebay for a new set of buttons but cant find anything.

Has anyone DIY'd their own buttons to look like new?

While its not a problem, i know it will bug me as i like my cars to look nice.

Cheers

Dan

This is a really really common problem.

Always the long keys + -

Ebay is your best bet for second hand unit £35+ New one £500, plus it needs programming.

A4 buttons fit and some of the older A3 buttons fit.

You need to have patience as they are fiddly to remove. You will have to remove the unit from the dash then remove the fascia panel and unclip the buttons very carefully. I used two scalpel blades in the back to spread the button and then a small Jewel screwdriver to push the button out.

Easy to put back in as you just push them in!

I matt lacquered mine several times before I fitted them.

Looking at the old buttons drove me mad!
I had to replace them. It was the fist job I did.

Search for "climate control" and you will find loads of threads.

Darren

Saw that just after i'd posted the last link.

Think i might have to snap that bad boy up.

Cheers

Dan

Air Con Buttons, a cheap fix???

I just used a jewelers screwdriver to pop the worn out buttons out in my car (you dont need to take the unit out) and rubbed them down with very fine wet/dry before spraying them with black auto paint and a top coat of laquer, they blend in with the other buttons, all be it without the + and - decals and background lighting but i know what each button does so that dosnt worry me but they just looked awful before i did this.
I also did the same with the window buttons in the front doors.
a cheap fix if you are on a budget like me (one of the reasons i got an a2 in the first place!!)

Simon

Hi Simon,

I am about to undertake this task.....was just wondering what you did to remove the window buttons. I don't want to break anything by using brute force.

Thanks,

Che

Hi,
Remove the door panel. Reach into the hole where the wire goes into the arm-rest section and press the side tag holding the window switch to release it. Disconnect the wiring.You should have the switch and assembly in your hand. Use two medium width screwdrivers (about 3-4 mm) to push into the slots on first one side of the switch/housing, which should release that side, and then do the same to the the other. You then should have just the switch itself, ready for recoating. Hope that this helps! BUT, even better would be to find a 2000 yr car in a breakers .... the buttons (ALL of them!) are of a delightful hard, black and shiny quality! I know, because that's just how mine are, and I love 'em! Somebody could make a fortune supplying replacement buttons, I guess!

Back