A Couple of weights I measured

nuttinnew

A2OC Donor
5x100 Golf Spacesave - 12kg

6x16 SE alloy with 185/50/16 - 18kg

I forgot to measure a 15" steel before fitting :eek:

Interesting.

My 6x16 SE alloy with 185/50/16s came in at around 16.5kg each, although the pirelli treads were fairly low. Could be the difference?

I was surprised the were quite so heavy to be honest. My 944 cookie cutters are 7x15" with brand new 195/65 Contis and weigh 15.2Kg each.

I'd be very interested to know what a 15" steel wheel + tyre weighs (Significantly less I hope :eek: )

Are they the factory winter wheels?

Did you notice any improvement in ride quality over bumps and potholes?

Last edited:
Yup & I will pop one off to weigh it.

jonny, they're Golf 6x15 et38 steels with 175/60/15 Semperit Wintergrips.
While I'd say the ride has improved I'd also note the ride on the 16s seemed more brittle as the temperature fell to around freezing which may exaggerate the feeling. Also I found the with the 16s that the Kuhmos ride better than the Marshalls. I'm hoping to have some summer 15s for a more direct comparison :)

It's odd the difference in weight we measured :confused:

Does anyone know how much a 7x15 OZ Super Turismo weighs?

I have some 15" alloys with tyres in the cellar. I'll try to remember to weigh one and report back.

I weighed two of my 15" A2 alloy wheels on the bathroom scales today - I would say they weighed an average of 12.75kg with 175/60/15 michellin tyres on.

Just weighed my new (to me) 16" SE alloy wheels with 195/45/16 tyres and they were approx 17kg each.

Having swapped I do notice a difference in steering feel - steering feels a little heavier / more planted.

Last edited:
FYI, I have 15x5J A3 alloys (not pepper pots) and they stand at ~9kg without tyres on the scale.

Has anybody with 17" wheels tried weighing theirs?

I've got a spare wheel and a couple of spare tyres from my current ride in the garage and thought I would see what they came in at. The wheel is 17x8 and the tyres are 215/40/17. Considering that they are from a sports car, I was expecting them to be fairly light but I get:
Wheel: 10.4kg
Falken ZE502 tyre: 9.4kg
Toyo Proxes T1R tyre: 8.8kg​

Almost 20kg per corner sounds massive! Especially compared to 13kgs for Cliveski's 15" feathers. Does the extra diameter really make that much difference? Or are mine particular heavy examples of the size?

I'm actually looking for a new set of wheels anyway. Now I'm particularly looking for a light weight set. Unfortunately, it seems to be almost impossible to find out what the weights are without going into a shop with some scales. No-one seems to quote that kind of information, either manufacturers or online shops. However, I did come across an article which claimed each kilo of wheel mass is equivalent to 10kilos of body mass. As in, lightening your wheels by one kilo each is equivalent to removing a rear seat, for example. At least in terms of acceleration and braking performance. Presumably that also translates into fuel economy for stop/start city driving as well.

That's not too bad compared the 18kg for an SE 16".

Now I wonder how a Pepperpot compares to an original A2 15...

18kg for the SE 16? you must have some heavy tyre. The SE alloy is 8.5kg, quite light. Other alloys at 17" can differ a lot depending on which one, even within the Audi offerings. I've weighted my SE wheels with 195/50 T1Rs before and they were no where near 18kg. More like 16kg as others have weighted the same

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10924

Hi folks,

Is anyone able to tell me the weight of a 17" 9-spoke alloy from an A2 Sport, please?
I'd like to know the weight of just the alloy, without the tyre or the centre cap.

I can't find this info anywhere on here or on the wider internet. So, if someone's got such an alloy at home and can pop it on the bathroom scales for me, I'd be grateful.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi, I've just popped a 17" sport alloy on the wife's scales and it weighed about 10.5 kg ( with centre cap ). Blimey it's cold out there ! ( wheel was in the shed)
Cheers Andy
Ps just noticed "without centre cap"....doh! The weight of the centre cap is minimal, about 10.3 - 10.4 kg without. It's hard to tell as the graduations on the scales are quite small.

Last edited:
Hi, I've just popped a 17" sport alloy on the wife's scales and it weighed about 10.5 kg ( with centre cap ). Blimey it's cold out there ! ( wheel was in the shed)
Cheers Andy
Ps just noticed "without centre cap"....doh! The weight of the centre cap is minimal, about 10.3 - 10.4 kg without. It's hard to tell as the graduations on the scales are quite small.

Andy, that's just the info I was after. Thank you very much, Sir! :)

Back