Rear Hatch Interior Panel

pjrouse

The interior panel from the inside of the rear hatchback on our A2 has a habit of falling off? So much so I've given up and permanently removed it.

It's attached with some very fiddly clips that I can't get to stay put. It looks very untidy now it's off but it beats it falling on my head everytime I open the boot!

Anyone else had any issues with this piece of interior trim?

Paul

Vaseline the clips and make sure they are *absolutely* in the correct place. Start at the bottom and then you can work your way around it.

Bret

so it is not just me then.. this panel seems to be fixed in a really poor way... mine pulls away from the bottom where handle is really easily

I am looking for a replacement as the handle is broken.. I ordered one off ebay but alas it turned out to be grey and not black.. shame though as it is in perfect condition..

One thing I did notice was that the slots where the panel had been removed were a bit battered and rolled in.. I need to fix my boot open switch and once this is done I may use a bit of wood to tease this back into shape again before refitting the panel

it's fixed in a way that even with 2/3 of the clips not in, in normal use it won't move. I don't understand why you have a problem: I've taken mine off and replaced it at least four times and even though it sits proud at the moment, there is *no* waggle at all.

You're in a very small minority here, and I'm wondering why?

Seriously, take the clips out and make sure they are in the right place. exactly the right place, to within a mm. Then lubricate them slightly (lipbalm will also work..) and push them into place. They require quite a lot of force, but when they sit they sit correctly.

Bret

yeah, well, it does have LEDs in it and it's been damped considerably, so I don't know why it sits proud but it has done for the last... five years? Something like that.

Bret

aaaah.. I thought that was an issue but seems this is normal.. will refit after I fix the boot mociroswitch and then all should be ok

anything much under 2mm is "good". try making it fit better when you have the kit out (don't forget the emergency pull!) and you might well be surprised. One thing I haven't tried and was going to is pushing from the inside when the boot lid is closed.

Bret

You have to give the arears where the clips are located a sharp bang.

I push them in by hand so the panel is aligned, then working from the bottom up, with the boot semi open (so panel is not comepltely horizontal to the floor) I give them all a decent whack and they clip in properly.

As John smiths would say......Av it!!

By rear hatch trim panel seems to be the cause of a major rattle in my car - very frustrating. I'm going to try and remove and re-seat the thing and while it's out maybe add in some damping material too. Any tips for first-time removal? How many clips are there and where's the best place to start pulling?!

Hi Dan

The attached pic shows where all the clips are.
I have not found an easy way to remove the panel. Its not really possible to get a trim tool in behind the panel to ease the clips so its just a case of pulling the trim, starting at the hand recess. It helps to have one person hold the tailgate up while the other pulls. Once the clips are free at one end its possible to get your fingers behind the lip of the panel to ease out the rest.

Cheers Spike

If you are still having problems just order some new clips from Audi shouldn't be to much a couple of ££££ at best, but as Bret has posted you shouldn't realy have a problem they are designed, to be pulled off then re-fit and when you do get it lined up you do have to work around the trim to make sure all the clips are knocked in ( look at where the clips are and put some tap on the outside so you know where to hit)

Phil

Hi Dan

The attached pic shows where all the clips are.
I have not found an easy way to remove the panel. Its not really possible to get a trim tool in behind the panel to ease the clips so its just a case of pulling the trim, starting at the hand recess. It helps to have one person hold the tailgate up while the other pulls. Once the clips are free at one end its possible to get your fingers behind the lip of the panel to ease out the rest.

Cheers Spike

There is a flat blade trim lift tool that you can buy and this does this sort of job

Just like this one

Phil

I used a long flat head screwdriver. Once you get one popped out, its easy to navigate around the trim doing the rest.

John

I used a long flat head screwdriver. Once you get one popped out, its easy to navigate around the trim doing the rest.

John

I guess mine has been remove a few times before I had it... gave the RH corner a hard tug the other day and the whole unit just fell off and landed on my head... once I fit my new boot catch I will reset all the clips ot tighten them up..

I am looking for a replacement as the handle is broken.. I ordered one off ebay but alas it turned out to be grey and not black.. shame though as it is in perfect condition..

One thing I did notice was that the slots where the panel had been removed were a bit battered and rolled in.. I need to fix my boot open switch and once this is done I may use a bit of wood to tease this back into shape again before refitting the panel
Hi MJHamilton,

Just wondered if your boot lid was still ok as I got a black one when I needed a grey one just so that my car was complete! Fancy a SWAP !!!! Let me know if yours clips in ok though! Mine fitted fine when I got it, I just gave it a thump with the palm of my hand right where the clips are located and it popped into place perfectly (Yes there does seem to be a slight gap at the bottom from memory (must be a design fault but not a biggy) Had no problems with it coming loose either and I have started to use the inner pull down handle as the back of my car id filthy in this dire winter weather we have at the mo.

I also happen to be in Sussex too (East though !)

Cheers,
Justin.

i have the grey on leaning against the wall in my home office waiting for a new home.

i manaaged to fit the black on properly (previous spanner monkey put the it over the boot catch not under) but the handle is still broken

let me know if you want to do a straight swap, i work from home so am available anytime

i have the grey on leaning against the wall in my home office waiting for a new home.

i manaaged to fit the black on properly (previous spanner monkey put the it over the boot catch not under) but the handle is still broken

let me know if you want to do a straight swap, i work from home so am available anytime

Mine sits over the boot catch cover, not under it!!!

John

Back