Squeak from Roof... Noisy OpenSky

Robbyrner

Having had my A2 SE for just over 3 months (purchased from Portsmouth Audi) it developed what can only be described the burden of my life, irritating, awful and depressing, squeaking, rubbing noise coming from somewhere around the drivers side sunroof area (around my head) and after deciding that loud music wasn't a permanent solution, off I went to Mr. Audi to find out what it was. I had already spent hours and hours driving up and down the road sunroof open/closed, head out the sunroof, silicone spray etc. etc. They said they would have a look at it but it wouldnt be covered by the warranty as it wouldn't be classed as something mechanical..... apparently if something rattles loose or 'comes out of a holder' it isn't classed as a mechanical issue so is not covered... this includes the wheels apparently, so be careful if one of those 'rattles' loose! Anyway, they found nothing and said they would want another £275 to remove the head lining, I politely told them to sod off and collected my car £80 worse off. Got it home and had another quick look with the sunroof open. Saw a torx screw that I decided to give a turn, managed to get half a turn out of it, thought I'd try my luck and..... hey presto, no noise! I am now waiting for a call back from Portsmouth Audi having explained to them that their 'Investigation' was not thorough enough or acceptable to be charged £80 for.... Watch this space! Jokers!

Genius!!!!
Now whether anyone has ever spotted this before I don't care as this is the post I found - thank you so much would not have thought of giving the screw a twist - mine took three turns at least and now all is calm again.
Thanks again for the post.

Genius!!!!
Now whether anyone has ever spotted this before I don't care as this is the post I found - thank you so much would not have thought of giving the screw a twist - mine took three turns at least and now all is calm again.
Thanks again for the post.

It would be helpful if you could take a pic to show the location of the offending screw as this would make life easier for others with a squeaky open sky roof.

Cheers Spike

Sorry been away will get one up ASAP.
Is very easy without a picture though as there were only two screw heads easily visible but will sort out a pic.

Mine makes a whistle over 120-130 km/h
I've traced it to the rubber seal between the two glass panels : when I push it with my hand, the noise disappears.
Are the seal repalceable ?
When the OS is open, I can see this seal is slightly "bent" on the drivers side...

Last edited:
Noise from open sky

I know this is an old post but I have been hearing wind noise/whistle around the front of the open sky area. When I push the headlining up the noise seems to disappear. Skipton seemed to have a similar problem and detailed thin in another posted. Audi released a technical bulletin relating to this issue but I could never source this. The attached diagram from an AUDI study manual shows that some adjustment was built into the open sky system. Perhaps the screws referred to in the first post relate to these adjustment screws. I will get Tony to check this when I visit him in the hope that he can repair my broken sky.

max SUNROOF.jpg

Max

The screws referred to by the OP are along the side rails of the sunroof module, accessible from above with the glass panels open. Please note that judicious over-tightening is NOT recommended. The manual specifies a torque value of 3.5Nm which is really only hand tight. The risk here is that the sunroof channel could distort which will then create additional resistance to the operating mechanism placing additional strain on the motor & cable assembly. Additionally, these screws have a sealant to prevent water ingress which could be damaged if due care is not exercised.

From next week, A2 Cars will be in a position to carry out full servicing on OpenSky systems, in addition to all other servicing and repairs to Audi A2's.

blue skies
tony

Ah sorry I forgot to mention that I would advise that tightening any screws should be avoided until such time an expert such as yourself had been consulted. I suspect with such temperamental and fancy systems, mistakes can be costly to put right!

Back