ARB polo bush and battery clamp

nick4tl

Hi,
To fix the usual split plastic and slipped bar problem I fitted the polo bushes today. To stop sideward movement I used battery terminal clips which I got in halfords for 5 euro each. Worked perfectly. I cut off the bit on the clips for attaching the wire leaving me with a neat collar.
Elsewhere here a two piece split collar has been suggested but there is not the clearance for that. I reckon this is better than a jubilee clip as the collar is about 3mm and goes all the way around pretty much.
Hope this is of assistance to someone.
Nicky

IMG_0125.jpg
IMG_0127.jpg

Last edited:
I reckon its pretty close to the collar the new arb has on it. One thing I didnt think of though was how much the bar actually twists. I possibly should have had the nut and bolt a little more toward horizontal.
N

Last edited:
Excellent, that's an idea and we were concerned about space limits for collars. What's the red spacing piece made out of on the clamp?

One thing from your photo it looks like you've done away with the insert and just fitted the Polo bush? if this is true then you don't need anything to stop sidewards movment as you've no longer got an insert that can come out of the bush. where as the old way you had an insert that moved out of the bush then causing the knocking

Phil

One thing from your photo it looks like you've done away with the insert and just fitted the Polo bush? if this is true then you don't need anything to stop sidewards movment as you've no longer got an insert that can come out of the bush. where as the old way you had an insert that moved out of the bush then causing the knocking

Phil

Not quite true. The Polo bushes grip the 'bare' roll bar quite tightly but over time it can still move sideways within the bushes and knock on the subframe.

Cheers Spike

the red plastic washer was probably to indicate a positive (electrically) battery connection on the clamp. I just left it there.

What thickness of bush did you purchase? There is 3 options for the Polo?

I've a 2001 TDI SE

Last edited:
Back