Removing the cup holders

Cheshire Cat

I inherited a broken cup holder. I've just bought a new one from Ebay. Is there an easy way to get the old one out of its socket?

I'm really hoping I don't need to remove the radio.

Andy

P.S The seller is also selling a new undertray for a diesel if anyone is interested.

I'm afraid you do need to remove the radio.

Remove the radio and you'll find a couple of screws behind the radio which hold the vents/cupholder assembly in place.
Remove these screws and the vents assembly will come out, with just two clips holding it in place at the top. The wire which connects to the hazard lights switch is a bit of a findle, but nothing too problematic.
The cup holders slide into the vents assembly from behind.

Go and have some fun!

Cheers,

Tom

Hello,

By coincidence my new cup holder arrived today also. I don't think I could do what you've just described! How much do you think it'll cost to get it done for me?

it is very easy, you just need the right tools and the correct radio removal keys (should be available from your local halfords) See the pictures here http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showpost.php?p=105128&postcount=1

radio out (in your case, you don't have to unplug the whole radio, you just need access to the screws), undo two screws, watch out for that hazard light cable and a simple unclip of the cup holder.

I inherited a broken cup holder. I've just bought a new one from Ebay. Is there an easy way to get the old one out of its socket?

I'm really hoping I don't need to remove the radio.

Andy

P.S The seller is also selling a new undertray for a diesel if anyone is interested.

Whats the price of the undertray?

John

If you can wait for delivery in the past I've bought a set of cheap radio keys from ebay (like these £1.68 for four with free postage! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-CHORUS-CONCERT-CD-STEREO-REMOVAL-KEYS-PC5-132-X4-/260739137192?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item3cb5437ea8 ) that worked just fine.Probably won't last forever but how often are you really going to use them?

alternately if you know a friendly mechanic you spend money with, I'm sure most of them will have a set they will you borrow for 5mins to pop it out.

oh and as mentioned above,don't pay anyone to do this for you, very easy little job.

Cheers,

VonB

Hmmm. Not quite as easy as I thought. My A3 has a double din Chorus with nice big holes to put the radio release keys in.

The A2 has a single din chorus with no obvious way of removing it. Can anyone give me a clue?

Andy

I've found a thread that says I have to start with the bottommost tidy hole, then the a/ccontrols and then I can get at the cup holders. Hope it is obvious what to do and I don't break any clips or anything.

Andy

I've fixed my cup holder but broken the ashtray. Aaaargh!

I found a thread that said start at the bottom of the stack so I tried to get the ashtray out and something went twang. Now my ashtray isn't forced out by the spring I have to pull it out. Anyone know the correct procedure for removing the ashtray so I can have a go at fixing it?

Whilst working low down I noticed the radio does have two slots for the removal tool. I couldn't see any previously. They are well camouflaged. A chopped up credit card does work as a removal tool. Thanks to whoever gave the tip.

New cup holder now in place and polished but ashtry broken:(

Andy

Back