Alu to opensky?

Tai

Hi all,

I've now been living with my A2 for around 3 months and I have to say I haven't regretted my purchase. Really happy with the drive. I haven't driven many small cars before this one to compare, but my brother who owns a Honda Jazz and my neighbour who drives a Golf Tdi both commented on how much bigger the car felt in terms if its ride quality and solid feel.

I notice many owners have shared my fondness with the baby audi, and invested money in options...cruise, bose, parking etc. I think I will probably end up doing the same. What I wanted to ask was has anyone gone from a solid roof to opensky? If some mad person has, could they let me know how much they paid?

Also, how much does a retro cruise fit cost?

Thanks

there is a thread and a photo journal of a european a2 owner who converted to opensky. this is the only one I have hear of. I have no idea of cost but would imagine that it's more economical to sell your car and buy one with opensky already factory fitted unless you have lots of time and money!! - i'll have a quick search for it and edit this post with the link if i find it quickly.

Edit: Here it is by danish member kitora, unfortunately the pictures dont seem available. You can maybe PM him, and get some further information.

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?5791-A-few-pics-from-my-latest-mod-(open-sky)

Last edited:
Hi, I've got a complete open-sky for sale.... if you fancied that project!.... It was cut-out complete from my defunct car by slicing through the pillars! Yours for £440!
Regards,
David

Just a thought.... If you cleaned up my cuts through the pillars and accurately marked where to cut YOUR pillars, then a bit of Argon-arc welding and a touch of cleaning/sanding/painting afterwards..... Hey Presto! .... job done! Come on..... that roof's in the way! ... £440! Cheers, David

Well, I don't know.... the frame itself is welded in numerous places .... it is not one complete shell...from what I remember, welding that is professionally performed has very high integrity . Just think of the very many aluminium archetectural structures that have to withstand severe stress conditions. Obviously, it would need to be researched, first... but I would not simply dismiss it out-of-hand! cheers, David

Back