1.6FSI Strange clutch - Feedback from other FSI owners please!

fordy

I'm posting this after meeting with Mike (Skipton) today. I've owned the car for over 4yrs and have always had this problem. When pulling away in 1st gear and in particular at junctions the car starts to move away then then the revs drop (even though I'm on the gas) and the car slows. You either have to floor it or bail out (when at junctions).

It also seems to have a variable biting point and is almost impossible to get a run without suffering really poor gear changes. I take pride in being a safe and smooth driver, but my A2 experience is really getting to me. As I explained to Mike I have a 'Love... Hate' relationship with her!! It takes immense concentration to drive her smoothly.

Is this a trait of the FSI's or is it mine? I'm certain its not me, so any feedback you guys can give would be fantastic.

BTW... many thanks again to Mike for today fitting. I'm gonna enjoy many hours of music on my ipod now, cheers!

Ethan

Last edited:
A few months ago the Ben Williamson column in Audi Driver magazine discussed problems with the clutch pipework which could affect all Audi models. It sounded like something in the metal pipes (possibly a flakey coating) acted like a restrictor. When pressing the pedal, the high hydraulic pressure allowed the fluid to flow and release the clutch as normal but when the pedal was released the clutch did not respond instantly. The problem was worse in cold weather when the hydraulic fluid is more viscous. This could be the cause of the second problem but not the first where the revs drop.

I'll try and find the article and see if my memory is correct or it provides any more details.

Cheers Spike

Just a thought, could it be a throttle position sensor? The throttles in our cars are fly-by-wire, not cable actuated. They have been known to go postal...

Cheers guys, I look forward to more! Maybe Mike might have an opinion on the throttle position sensor?

Ethan

Is this a trait of the FSI's or is it mine? I'm certain its not me, so any feedback you guys can give would be fantastic.
My FSI doesn't do that much.
My former 1.4 did that more...
Cannot help more, but IMO it's no FSI "feature".
For my 1.4, I would have explained that with the ASR kicking in (it's "on/off" of this older version of ESP combined with throttle cable), compared with the newer ESP of the FSI that is more progressive (no cut of injection, but a modulation of throttle).
But the behaviour of your 1.6 ruins my theory :)

I have driven an FSI and must say Ethan's description is more like my 1.4 petrol! The FSI I drove was significantly different in terms of pulling away and much better than my 1.4. Does it happen with the normal rev pull away? Does it do that when say, if you hold 3000rpm and drop the clutch in?

I have driven an FSI and must say Ethan's description is more like my 1.4 petrol! The FSI I drove was significantly different in terms of pulling away and much better than my 1.4. Does it happen with the normal rev pull away? Does it do that when say, if you hold 3000rpm and drop the clutch in?

It happens in normal driving, keep the revs up and no probs! As much as its fun, I don't wanna drive like Lewis all the time ;-) I really do think its the same problem causing the poor getaways and the lumpy gear changes. A friend of mine drove her without me giving too much away. I asked what he thought, he also said it felt like there was a variable biting point. I think this is what may be causing the poor getaway.... I get the biting point, give it a little gas and start moving away and the revs drop... I then dip the clutch give it 2k on the revs and it goes. Its like someones pulled the plug on the throttle just when I need it!

When Mike visited me a few months back he tested the throttle body, that was fine. Mechanically I'm not that clued up, but are there any other thoughts on the the throttle position sensor? I now feel its throttle related more than clutch...

If I cure this issue I'll be the happiest bunny in the club with a 'Love... love' relationship instead of 'Love... hate'.

Ethan

Back