Front wheel bearing

trufflestu

A2OC Donor
Car failed its MOT on a rough wheel bearing last week. The garage wanted nearly £300 to change it.

I rang round and managed to find a garage in North Baddesley for Monk Autos who did the job for nearly a 3rd of the price.

So all you Hampshire based owners I can highly reccomend him for works on any VAG cars.

A side line to my MOT I also got advisory on discoloured indicators. WTF. Anyone else come across this?

The bulbs coloured coating fades and degraded over time.. . Just put new bulbs in and the job is done

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

I have bought the special tool as used by Audi to fit the front wheel bearings.
I will soon be offering a recon hub with new bearing on an exchange basis through the forum.

Blue skies

Tony

IMG_0019v2.JPG IMG_0025v2.JPG IMG_0029v2.JPG

hi,
my a2's driver side wheel bearing seems gone. how do i get your recon hub w/ bearing?
thanks

yeah i think my drivers side bearing has gone too!

cammy

Hi Cammy,

What are your symptoms?

The usual symptom is noise (droning) that goes quiet when turning corners one way and becomes noisier when turning corners the other way.

Other more serious symptoms are errors triggering an ABS fault (caused by the speed markings wobbling) it can even affect the brake pedal, resulting in a longer depression to get the brakes to work.

You can obviously check by jacking the car up and feeling for play too.

What has triggered your feeling that it has gone?

Steve B

I can fully recommend Tony's service.

Having new powder coated knuckles is great as they wont rust and look nice.

My bearings were a difficult to replace, and Tony had to get a 20 tonne press on mine to get it off the driveshaft......

sorry for late reply. glen the last owner mentioned this when i bought the car from him last year. ive not got around fixing it yet, although if there is a noise i think maybe the webasto whining noise is drowning it out lol

i will take the wheel off and check for the wobble as you say...failing that then its going to be a garage job at some point. i just hope it wont create further problems down the line.

cammy

sorry for late reply. glen the last owner mentioned this when i bought the car from him last year. ive not got around fixing it yet, although if there is a noise i think maybe the webasto whining noise is drowning it out lol

i will take the wheel off and check for the wobble as you say...failing that then its going to be a garage job at some point. i just hope it wont create further problems down the line.

cammy

Hi Cammy,

Leave the wheel on, just jack it up off the ground and in neutral (Handbrake ON!!!! And rear wheel chocked)

Then you can grab the tyre and check for play in the bearing by "jiggling it" and you should also spin it (It won't spin that quickly) and listen for a noise from the bearing.

But if there are no symptoms I am not sure how the previous owner knew, or suspected it had gone.

It is not all that easy to spot a worn bearing until it starts groaning, or affecting the brakes.

I noticed a bearing type noise on my Wife's car some time ago and I could even feel the vibrations through the steering wheel, especially when coming to a halt.

It sounded exactly like a bearing noise. BUT it was the same when turning right or left (at low speed) so I thought it might be the diff / gearbox and there was a synchro "snick" on third anyway, so I fitted a recon box, but the noise remained.

The only thing left that could make a noise was the tyres, but I was sure that tyre noise wouldn't be as loud as this and also I didn't expect them to cause vibrations through the steering wheel when slowing down.

BUT swapping to different wheels made it go away, I was VERY surprised.

So, if you have any notes from the front wheels don't just assume it is the bearings, it MIGHT be the gearbox / diff or the tyres even.

I am not saying that this is the case with your car, but I wouldn't have believed that kind of noise could possibly have come from the tyres and so , incorrectly, assumed it was the bearings.

Steve B

The service works as follows;

I supply a reconditioned powder coated hub, measured against Audi specified tolerances, with a new bearing fitted using the correct tool. A new set of bolts and nuts are included. This is done on an exchange basis, a deposit being paid which is refunded if the old hub is re-useable.

The price varies, depending on what the current price for bearings may be. I normally have a pair in stock and a fitting service is available if preferred - I am located in Milton Keynes.

blue skies
tony

Back