Dolphin grey with Black wheels - using plastidip

Olly1

A2OC Donor
Dolphin grey with Black wheels - painted using plastidip

Always wanted to try black wheels out and after coming across a product called Plastidip on the net, I thought I`d give it a go. The whole idea of the using plastidip is that it is removable so If they didn`t turn out very good then I could just peel it off and my wheels would be standard again. Total cost = a tad under £50. Durability - will report back in a few months.

Anyway here is how you remove the stuff.
[Youtube]HLsu6TQPvq4[/youtube]

The black is a matt so I bought a can (but really its a tin) of Plastidip clear gloss. Thought this too was a spray however it wasnt which is a pain as the gloss was too think for my little airbrush.

Pretty pleased with the results and once I get my bodykit fitted and tint the side windows my car will be looking pretty sweet. Very tempted to get it wrapped in gloss white but that might have to wait (unless we get group deal for any other out there considering a wrap..... just a thought).

The process took a lot longer than I had thought. In fact It basically took a day (although I did clean and wax the car at the half way point.

Anyway Blar Blar Blar... here are the pics.

Started off removing all 4 wheels and giving them a proper clean.

P1010329.jpg

P1010330.jpg

Once dry I applied some Migliore wheel wax. Its actually suggested the surface be free of an oils or wax, but I wanted my wheels to be prestine underneath.

P1010330.jpg

Cut out some cardboard to fill the centres.
P1010333.jpg

And then taped up the wheel. There has got to be a better way as this took forever and wasnt overly sucessful.

P1010334.jpg

After a couple of coats
P1010335.jpg

End result
P1010337.jpg

Last edited:
Different Olly.
Perhaps do the centre caps as well?

blue skies
Tony

Wanted to see how they looked with the standard centre caps first. Might paint the silver part of the caps black once i get bored with the current look.

Very interesting and they look very good. I have used Plastidip before on some guttering as it can be used on a lot of different items and surfaces.

Great finish:)

Great stuff Olly, I reckon they would look better gloss black with the dolphin grey mate??

Cheers

Mark

Great stuff Olly, I reckon they would look better gloss black with the dolphin grey mate??

Cheers

Mark

Agree mate, but it doesnt look like Plastidip sell an aerosol gloss spray. Potentially I could get away with a clear lacquer spray.

Masking of wheels can be a real pia. I marked a circle of the wheel rim diameter on card and cut that out . It made a tyre cover I then taped to the rubber with masking tape.: minimal overspray and can be re-used for each tyre...

Masking of wheels can be a real pia. I marked a circle of the wheel rim diameter on card and cut that out . It made a tyre cover I then taped to the rubber with masking tape.: minimal overspray and can be re-used for each tyre...

Good idea. I`ll remember that for next time.

If it helps, when I did my TT wheels, I did them all except the Audi logo on the centre caps, sorry its a rubbish picture, best I could find.
TTSide002.jpg

Just thought, could be used to re new air con buttons black again - and a bit of a fiddle the radio

Just thought, could be used to re new air con buttons black again - and a bit of a fiddle the radio

Suggest using some model paint for that.

I touched up my stereo buttons in the weekend also with some Revell Model Acrylic Paint

P1010202.jpg

P1010357.jpg

Centre console about as good as its going to get for a while.

Last edited:

One of the easiest way is to use a deck of old play cards, slot them around the rim. I tried tapes a stuff, I didn't have much luck with things that actually sticks well to the surface of the rubber.

Olly, nice one, I don't particularly fancy them in black, your plastidip trial has inspired me. I have a project to refurb a set of old 15" for winter, I was going to spray them in white with the chunkiest looking snow tyre suitable for a little rally comedy effect, I think I'll look into the plastidip now!

One suggestion for the centre caps, how about spray them black, then hand paint the 4 rings in gloss audi red and possibly the chrome part of the cap in another layer of gloss black? My plan is my 15" in all white (matt possibly) with the Audi rings in Colbalt Blue matching the colour of my car.

Might give the centre gaps a go one evening this week but only planning on doing the chrome part of the cap to start with.

I'm really enjoying the look of black wheels and I think once i get around to fitting the bodykit the black wheels will look even better. Just need to find a cheap (but still good) place to fit and paint.

Back