TDi Loss of power (not my car!)

dan_b

A2OC Donor
My cousin has recently bought a 2002 A2 TDi with OSS, and she absolutely loves the car. However, when she drove over at the weekend she complained of a lack of power at motorway speed. Given my recent issues with triggering limp-home I immediately assumed she had a boost leak of some sort - assumed it was overboost protection triggering limp-home (17965) which is what I had (and is well documented here!).

However, I pulled the error codes for her and it came back as 17964, which is underboost triggering limp-home -ie. the turbo can't achieve the target boost required even when at full turbo RPM and so it shuts down to avoid over-spinning and damaging the turbo.

I was thinking about it today - is that likely to still be a failure of the tiny vacuum control lines that feed into the N75, OR is a more likely culprit going to be something like a split intercooler -ie. the inlet system is shipping pressurised air somewhere? I confess I didn't check the intercooler when I looked.

Any thoughts?

not sure if it helps but i just replaced all the small vaccume hoses between the various solinodes on the top right of the engine bay and made sure my egr block is tightly sealed and mine is now flying, faster then its ever been
I had no fault codes so guess a small split hose may not record anything
simptoms where very light surging at motorway speeds, 80mph top speed and 60mph trying to get up hills !
i would check your larger boost hoses

Back