Strange "whump" noise on take up

FlyingScot

Hi,

Not had my A2 long and I've recently noticed a rather strange noise coming from under the bonnet.
When I pull away there is a noise I can only describe as "whump" that appears sometimes as I'm lifting the clutch. If I then come of the throttle on to over-run then apply some throttle again it'll generally make the same noise. I've even noticed it when going from off then back on the throttle in other higher gears, but this is very occasionally.
I remember reading a review on the A2 before I bought it and their only complaint was a strange noise from under the bonnet which sounds very like what I'm describing.
Anyone know what this is?

Cheers :cool:

Search for the mooing on here, its most likely the egr lines which run along the bulkhead . there was a Audi fix to move them away with rubber blocks
I have a TDI and just decicded to block my EGR up which also got rid of the noise.
Nothing major wrong or to worry about

I've had the same 'whump' noise (good description) for a year or so now, it seems to last a few days, then go away for a few weeks. Mine happens in the same situations as yours. My cars going in for a big service, cam belt etc in a couple of weeks at Awesome or Stealth so I'll ask them if they know what it is.
Russ

Ours has exactly that issue as well. It typically only does it after a very long journey. I had always wondered what it was and if someone know's the fix and cares to post it I'll fix it. Otherwise I'll live with it.

Iain

Ditto. I notice it especially if I'm stuck in traffic, everytime I release the clutch in first gear. Thought about posting a question many times on the forum but couldn't think how to describe it! 'Whump' is pretty good!

Glad to hear it may be nothing to worry about. Thought my clutch was going or something...

Jon

Back