Crankshaft Speed Sensor.. 1.6 FSI

brum

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question...

The "Crankshaft Speed Sensor" and the "Camshaft Position Sensor" - I take it these are two different things?

If so, i was wondering how difficult it is to replace the Crankshaft Speed Sensor on my 1.6 FSI, and where could i get one? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Also how difficult is it to clean the throttle body? And how would i do this?

If I'm barking up a tree of difficulties then i will take it to a proper garage but always worth an ask about first!

Thanks in advance :)

Daniel

Ok it looks like i have found out that the Cam / Crank sensor IS infact the same thing on my A2...

My car is a non starter and has been off the road for a few months. Was told to replace this part but no good news.. :(

Ill keep going at it and keep you posted :)

Daniel

Hi Daniel
I own a diesel so don't know much about FSi's but fairly sure it will have both sensors. The cam position sensor allows the engine to work out which cylinder is on the firing stroke for start-up. If this sensor fails the crank speed sensor is used as a back-up but the engine can take several revolutions to sort itself out and fire up.
The ECU uses signals form the crank speed sensor for fuelling and ignition timing. There is no back-up for this sensor so if it fails the engine won't run. On TDi's this sensor works off a tone wheel behind the clutch while the cam sensor uses marks on the camshaft pulley. This should give some idea of where to look for the sensors.

Cheers Spike

Hey Spike,

You are 100% correct. I should have gone with my first thought and trusted my own judgement.

Got a quote for the part of £70.15 + VAT so sounds about right.

Will let you know how i get on.

Thanks again :)

Daniel

Cost me £77 in the end.

Fitting it over the weekend will let you know the outcome.

Dan

Attachments

• crank sensor.jpg
    crank sensor.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 404
Cost me £77 in the end.

Fitting it over the weekend will let you know the outcome.

Dan

Hi,

Did you get it sorted in the end ? my car is stalling after getting to temperature mechanic pointed to the crankshaft sensor do you have a part number for this please?

s

Back