Retrofit rear parking sensors

bob13

Hy all, just a quick one ,has anyone fitted rear sensors without taking the bumper off?
I don't feel confident enough to attept takeing it off and i wonder if i can just make markings and drill them on the spot?
Is there anything behind i could dammage?
Also any particular place to take the wires through the floor inside the boot?
Thanks in advance!

I've fitted more PDC kits to A2s than most and I'd really not recommend it without taking the bumper off.

The reasons are as follows:

1. The hole positions are actually marked inside the bumper, so you get them spot on, first time if you remove the bumper.
2. The correct place to bring the wires through is only accessible fully by taking the bumper off!

There's at least one wire you can damage - the airbag trigger wire - if you drill through from the outside and if you've got trailer electrics, these are in danger too.

Cheers,

Mike

I've fitted more PDC kits to A2s than most and I'd really not recommend it without taking the bumper off.

The reasons are as follows:

1. The hole positions are actually marked inside the bumper, so you get them spot on, first time if you remove the bumper.
2. The correct place to bring the wires through is only accessible fully by taking the bumper off!

There's at least one wire you can damage - the airbag trigger wire - if you drill through from the outside and if you've got trailer electrics, these are in danger too.

Cheers,

Mike

Very helpfull advice ,thanks for that, now the question is how difficult is to remove the bumper?

Cheers!

Very helpfull advice ,thanks for that, now the question is how difficult is to remove the bumper?

Cheers!
It depends on your skills. To decide easier see attached pdf. This is for 2001, do not know if later models had different rear bumper.

Attachments

• Removing and installing rear bumper - exploded view.pdf
    94.8 KB · Views: 467
All the bumpers are the same across the years. the only problem i found was the clips that the screws screw into had corroded (i had some spare) but the old one's fell apart

Phil

Attachments

• 01082010407.jpg
    01082010407.jpg
    452.1 KB · Views: 513
  • 01082010408.jpg
    01082010408.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 508
  • 24072010400.jpg
    24072010400.jpg
    500.2 KB · Views: 516
  • 24072010401.jpg
    24072010401.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 493
  • 24072010402.jpg
    24072010402.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 502
Thanks for the photos , so i'm assuming that the wires should go in the boot through that circled plastic bit?24072010400.jpg

Nice pictures. Which parking sensors did you use? Can you just describe how you get off the chrome panel on the bumper? I could not get it off and I would not like to break something...

Nice pictures. Which parking sensors did you use? Can you just describe how you get off the chrome panel on the bumper? I could not get it off and I would not like to break something...

Can't remember what sensors i used, i had them and should have fitted them on another car but sold the car before fitting them. You don't have to remove the chrome bit as you can get to the top screws when you remove the black plasic cover, which fits on to the chrome bit and goes under the boot seal

Phil

I have these aswell. They work fine, although they start to buzz from a closer distance than other systems (OEM or not) that I'm used to. I.e. they are silent when other already buzz.
That's no such a big deal. You just have to remember this...

The other concern is they don't fit as flush as OEM's and they are bigger : there is an "outside ring", when OEM's have just the "center circle".

A good buy for the price though.

Another question:

I have allready bought a set and they are black ones. If i spray-paint them do i have to cover anything like the lens bit or i can just paint them all over?

Cheers!

Not knowing which ones you have, but all the ones I've done can be completely painted

Sent from my iThing using Tapatalk

The correct position of the sensors is marked on the inside of the bumper and is visible only when you take it off. Please don't drill from the outside - you'll make a real mess of the installation and it won't be possible to route the wiring correctly either.

Cheers,

Mike

The correct position of the sensors is marked on the inside of the bumper and is visible only when you take it off. Please don't drill from the outside - you'll make a real mess of the installation and it won't be possible to route the wiring correctly either.

Cheers,

Mike

I don't feel confident enough to take off the bumper, i have removed the black plastic trim from the top of the bumper and the space is ok to deal with the wires and also i can't see any existing wires that i can dammage.
Don't get me wrong, your advice is great, but i feel like there will be a bigger mess if i start taking the bumper off.

Cheers!

Bob,

I fitted them without removing the bumper, it's a very easy job, but you need to measure twice and drill once!
Here's an old thread with lots of details that should be useful: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?5402-PDC-retrofit-an-easy-job

With regard to distances, as Mike has indicated there are markings on the rear of the bumper to show where the sensors should be located, and you should be able to see these through the 'slot' once the bumper trim has been removed. I used these as references and drilled accordingly, for the vertical distance I mounted the sensors in the exact centre of the bumper 'rubbing strip'. If you need help with the distances let me know and I'll measure mine.

There are a couple of routes for the wiring, the linked post uses the grommet at the side, I used a central grommet to get the wires through to the inside then followed the route of the exisiting loom. I initially fitted the buzzer unit beside the control box, but as I have the false boot floor, the sound was too quiet so I moved it above the battery 'hatch' into the spare wheel compartment.

The system works fine and is a very useful addition to an already fine car :D

Steve

Bob,

I fitted them without removing the bumper, it's a very easy job, but you need to measure twice and drill once!
Here's an old thread with lots of details that should be useful: http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?5402-PDC-retrofit-an-easy-job

With regard to distances, as Mike has indicated there are markings on the rear of the bumper to show where the sensors should be located, and you should be able to see these through the 'slot' once the bumper trim has been removed. I used these as references and drilled accordingly, for the vertical distance I mounted the sensors in the exact centre of the bumper 'rubbing strip'. If you need help with the distances let me know and I'll measure mine.

There are a couple of routes for the wiring, the linked post uses the grommet at the side, I used a central grommet to get the wires through to the inside then followed the route of the exisiting loom. I initially fitted the buzzer unit beside the control box, but as I have the false boot floor, the sound was too quiet so I moved it above the battery 'hatch' into the spare wheel compartment.

The system works fine and is a very useful addition to an already fine car :D

Steve

Cheers for that, great ''how to'', but if you don't mind to give a measurement and tell me the distance between the sensors.
Thanks again!

Back