Can I change the cluster to one with a DIS?

craigyb

A2OC Donor
I have the lowline cluster and I'm now looking at changing it to one with a DIS, is it a straight swap? Stalk & cluster?

Well not really, new cluster £150, stalk about £25, ground connection for water bottle level? recoding at the dealership for immobilizer? I work a lot for Audi so that is not a problem.

Ok, major fly in the ointment, monitoring of the lights etc from the DIS, seems there is an extra module that does all of this (K41). Seems like too much hard work.

very easy in fact, have just done that same mod on my TDi. you need a stalk, cluster and the multipin connector to the new cluster. the washer bottle lead goes to earth as does the lamp monitoring units leads. You need to take the vehicle to an Audi dealer with the old cluster installed - they must fit your replacement cluster and they will then code it to the ecu and keys as the immobiliser links the cluster too. I had mine done and then arranged for the mileage to be corrected to within 15 miles of the original reading. depending on the entertainment configuration, you may need to connect your stereo to the infotainment bus (I had to). Also note that at some point in 2002 Audi altered the way the fuel gauge responds to the sender unit - depending on your sender and the new cluster you may end up with an in-operative fuel gauge and constant low fuel warning! I have that issue and have bypassed it by fitting a resistor to the gauge wiring at the tank to "fool" the gauge into thinking there is fuel in the tank and I rely on the odometer to re-fuel. it's a project for when the weather improves!
All in all I'm happy with the mod, I am looking at adding the lamp monitoring system but that is a big task ..
Hope that helps.

blue skies
tony

Can you write this up as a guide for the forum when you do it as this is a subject that many people ask about!

Hi Tony
Congratulations on pioneering the first DIS retrofit.
Not sure I'd bother with the bulb warning feature though as I have never needed it in 10 years of A2 ownership.

Cheers Spike

It is potentially interesting for me just to get the aluminum surround as there is one for a 1.4 petrol on ebay. But a little expensive, and need to add the cost of the stalk... hmm...

Would love to have full trip computer and radio info on dash... I will follow this with interest.

Hi Chris/guys

I'm happy to help with a more detailed write up and put in the costs and other detail. Pls be patient for a week and a bit - we busy with exams at college and I am flat out. I'll post in the first week of the Christmas break.

blue skies
tony

Hey, this is something that I would really like to do, but £500+ for the cluster was a real NO-NO! I just like to make my car as complete as possible! Open-sky>leather>>RNS-E>all-electric windows>Votex body kit AND, more coming! I ask this question ..... I wonder if Mike Ward, the "Miracle" man, could do all that Audi Dealership coding work? I'd much rather spend time over in Manchester with his very pleasant company?

OUCH! ....... Sorry about that! WHERE did I get that "Ward" from! LOL! I'm sorry about that, Mr Mike HILL! The "miracle" bit is still correct, though!

So far it's cost me £170 for the new cluster and a DIS wiper stalk. So it doesn't seem to be that expensive, I can get the immobilizer etc done at my local dealers for free.

On my way to purchasing that cluster for only £85 from "Parts Depot", on Ebay .... car IS a diesel and IS a 2001 model! THEN, I am advised by "Parts Depot" that it is not listed as suitable for my chassis no.? Damb! Oh well, although I haven't got enough to do, anyway? LOL! Hey, craigyb, where did you get yours from, please? I believe that you have paid £170 for the cluster + stalk, up to now? Doesn't seem TOO far adrift from that £85 I was expecting to pay?

Parts Depot had a new cluster with chrome dials at £150 for a diesel. And the stalk cost me £12 fromm fleabay.

Back