New Varta Battery

A2Z

A2OC Donor
Hi all.

With winter upon us and batteries being an issue for some i thought i would mention that i have been offered a brand new original Varta battery for the right price and wondered whether there would be anyone else that this may be of interest to.

I have just called my local Audi dealer and they are £129-28 to buy from them.

I would be able to offer them at £79-50 (basically a £50 saving that could mean fitting a German made original quality battery for inferior China made battery money).

The size and spec of the batteries is as follows;

length 320mm

width 170mm

height 190mm

80ah

700amps

All of which i believe makes these the original fitment/spec batteries for our car.

Please let me know if this is of interest to you as the supplier has very limited stock or alternatively if you think it is not such a great deal and know of any other better deals available elsewhere please let me know this too as i will then not buy any and use the money to buy the kids some Christmas presents instead (lol).

Cheers.

Last edited:
I have just paid £102 for a Varta Silver battery (4 year warranty) for my 1.4 tdi and thought that was a good deal!

I have just paid £102 for a Varta Silver battery (4 year warranty) for my 1.4 tdi and thought that was a good deal!

That's still a pretty good deal at £102 compared to the dealer price and if history is anything to go by the Varta's seem to last more like 10 years rather than 4, so not a bad investment at a tenner a year!

All of which i believe makes these the original fitment/spec batteries for our car....

'our' you mean A2 TDIs? 1.4 petrol uses a smaller battery, except when the car has bose or other stuff than the car may come with the TDI size battery, like mine.

Are the ones from your supplier the silver ones also? I may be interested if they are :D

No, i believe they are the standard Heavy Duty one's that were fitted to the A2 TDI from new by Audi, which as i'm sure you have read have a brilliant reputation for out lasting most battery's out there with many cars now 10 years and older still using the original battery.

'our' you mean A2 TDIs? 1.4 petrol uses a smaller battery, except when the car has bose or other stuff than the car may come with the TDI size battery, like mine.

Yes, sorry Humps i was referring to the TDI versions but as you state it also fits the petrol engine models as well that don't normally require as high power a battery as the diesel's but i would have thought would be a good upgrade and better than the standard fit?

Yes, I'll 100% have one of those! Payment? Delivery? .... might cost a bit to send it? I'm going to Stoke-on-Trent on Saturday... David

Yes, I'll 100% have one of those! Payment? Delivery? .... might cost a bit to send it? I'm going to Stoke-on-Trent on Saturday... David

Ok, i'll speak to the supplier tomorrow to check availability and will also obtain some costings for delivery and let you know.

ECP sell Bosch for ~£60.

Use one of the many 25% discount codes available.

Thanks for that Will, i will definitely give Euro Car Parts a call tomorrow as last i tried them they wanted far more than that for a Bosch S3 which spec wise isn't up to much.

Any idea on the spec and model of the Bosch that they sell for £60 and is that including Vat do you know?

Cheers.

Right have just called Euro Car Parts and the Bosch battery prices are as follows and these are trade prices;

Bosch S3 (640 cold crank amps, 70 ah) £53-95 + vat = £64-74

Bosch S4 (680 cold crank amps, 72 ah) £63-95 + vat = £76-74

Bosch S5 (750 cold crank amps, 74 ah) £75-95 + vat = £91-14

As mentioned these are trade prices not retail and none of them including the top of the range S5 are up to the 80 ah as the original Varta fitted to the TDI as standard although the cold crank amps are very good on the S5.

I personally wouldn't fit the S3 to a TDI but the other two would probably be ok?

What do you think?

Mmmm - the £102 I paid for a Varta Silver was, on the basis of the ECP prices for lower spec batteries, a v good price after all. Got it from Bush Tyres, Scun thorpe.

That Costco price is very good for an S5.

Does anyone know if the physical dimensions are the same as the original size Varta and has anyone actually fitted one?

Just want to make sure that the battery holder supports the battery as it should.

I spoke to the Varta supplier today and i would need to buy five to get the right price, which i am happy to do if i feel there is the interest and could possibly get hold of them as early as tomorrow but if people think highly of the Bosch then that may indeed be the way to go?

The original Audi/Varta battery from my 2001 TDi measures 310mm long x 190 high x 175 wide.

Cheers Spike

Is it just me, or do the Bosch and the Varta Silver batteries look remarkably alike?
S5-004.jpgvarta-100-e38--1442-p.jpg

Attachments

• varta.jpg
    varta.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 239
  • bosch.jpg
    bosch.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 231
Back