A3 Steering Wheel

Muzzaa72

Hi guys,

I've read a few posts about changing the 4 spoke style steering wheel for 3 spoke commonly found in A3. I managed to get a hold of one today from a 2002 A3 and it is in really good condition with the airbag too. I'm sure my friend's a2 sport has the very same style 3 spoke wheel too but just wanted to check if audi were annoying and made a slight change to the wheel spec between models? I have a 2003 A2 SE so figured it would probably be a direct swap over given the similar age??

Any thought's /experiences with this? I would go and swap it over now but unfortunately my A2 is on an extended visit to see Vince at Stealth.Just want peace of mind that I haven't wasted £70 on an impulse buy! :p

Cheers,
Murray

Steering wheels are always the same and fit all Audis

The following airbags were used in A2 with 3-spoke 8E0 880 201 D -> J -> K -> S -> AT -> CR. ( -> means replaced by )
The very same airbags were also used in the A3, however additionally those numbers 8E0 880 201 H -> R -> T -> BA -> CS

Airbags in A2, A3, A4, A6, A8 with 3-spoke were mixed over the years. It can be assumed that they are the same (despite different index), but I can not guarantee for that. I tend to believe that the airbag size is always the same and functionality is not influenced. The logics behind is only known by Audi.....

Greetz
Wolfgang

Awesome, just checked the ref numbers and all should be fine. Really want my car back now! Cheers for the replies guys!

Murray

Hi Murray,

I'm assuming your new wheel/airbag came with the airbag harness?

I swapped my A2 SE (four spoke) steering wheel for an A2 Sport (three spoke) steering wheel in April last year, but the wheel/airbag didn't have the airbag harness supplied.

The airbag harness is different for both & I needed to buy harness 8Z0 971 589 M - (can't remember the cost though).

Cheers

Jeff

Aaarrrrrggghhhhh.

Why can i no longer edit my own posts !!!????:mad:

Anyone else having this issue ......????

Anyway....Just wanted to add the following:

The airbag part No’s were:

SE – 8E0 880 201 AA / 6PS - Original 4 spoke
SP – 8E0 880 201 AT / 6PS - 3 spoke

Cheers

Jeff

Sorry for the minor swerve...

Jeff, regarding the editing issue, have you checked all your browser settings? Have you tried other browsers? I realise you're the network man, so apologies if I'm teaching a granny to suck eggs!

Tom

Last edited:
Jeff, have you checked all your browser settings?

Tom

Hi Tom,

I've not changed anything, but at the bottom of the page on the right, where it shows posting permissions, it say's "You may not edit your posts".....Not sure why this has changed.......:mad:

Any ideas welcome........sorry for the thread hijack

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Yup i'm pretty sure I was supplied the harness too. There is a wire that plugs into the airbag and then through to the clockspring connector...unless I am missing another one! Thanks for the part numbers though, if I do need one then I know where to look!

Cheers,
Murray

Back