Wet Driver Side Rear Footwell

slumdog

Hello all,

I have searched the forum and cannot find an answer to my issue.
I was hoovering my car today and noticed that the rear driver side rear footwell was soggy as if something had been spilt right by the bottom area of the rear footwell.
However my wife assured me nothing was spilt in the rear so I checked all other footwells and rear boot area (including battery area) all bone dry.

Does anyone have any idea's what it may be as I have mopped the water with newspaper but it now seems to be like a shampoo type fluid / texture coming through the carpet which has no smell.

I last hoovered the car late Sept / early Oct time and the driver side rear footwell was bone dry then so am a bit puzzled what it could be.

Any ideas / advice much appreciated ?

many thanks

Slumdog

I don't know if you have Children but could it be that the rear window was left slightly down and the rain got in that way?

I check mine every time the kids have been in the car and often find then slightly down.

The shampoo like substance could be just that, possibly from when the carpets were previously shampoo'd?

Hi

thanks for your reply window are always closed as I check them and the foot footwell and carpet / foam underneath all dry so it just seems a bit of a mystery.

It's almost like the water puddled in the rear driver footwell whereas the boot area , passenger footwell , rear passenger footwell & driver's footwell are totally dry just the rear driver footwell.

regards

Slumdog

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked under the driver footwell this morning (removing the metal plate ) and it is dry no water anywhere.

The carpet seems alot drier in the rear so still a mystery.
I will just have to keep an eye on it and get it checked out by a garage I suppose if it happens again.

kind regards

Slumdog

Hmmm, curious. Next time the car is lifted up for a service, have a look at the underside and see if there's any damage. I've seen one A2 before with a punctured floor after the driver drove the car over a traffic island. The area under the front footwells is essentially the same as the rear footwells, hence why I suggested checking this area for damage.

Cheers,

Tom

I'd also check boot carpet and carpet under rear seat. I had problems with leak from seals around boot vents behind rear bumper and it was suprising how far water travelled. If either of the above places wet I'd suspect this as the cause- there are several threads on water ingress giving details of the fix.

Pete

Behind the door card there is an alloy panel which should be sealed to the door frame. This diverts water to the drainage channels in the bottom of the door but if the seal has been disturbed it may get behind the door card and drip into the car. Are there any indications the door has been stripped to replace a lock or remove glass from a broken window etc.

Cheers Spike

Back