Open Sky roof problem

Hi, I know this is a common theme but I have not been able to find the answer here on my particular issue. I had the roof open today and when I went to close it, basically it wouldnt. The motor is working and the front glass panel wants to shut down. The back piece of glass is closing on one side but not the other. It can be pushed forward as the front panel slides up to the point where the rear panel needs to dips down at the front and close but it will not close down on the drivers side.

Not sure if the cable is pulled through if the motor is activating both sides of the front panel? I note there is a locking hook between the front and rear carriers, does this basically pull the rear panel forward as the front panel is moved? I wonder if a connection between the front and rear panel has broken on the drivers side? Any thoughts would be appreciated. I note Worthing Audi have been mentioned a few times - are they still recommended as a place to go to get this looked at? Its only about an hours drive for me.

Any thoughts on what might have gone wrong here would be appreciated and how I might get the roof to shut. Thanks

Isn't there a manual winder in the overhead cover ? if it winds back manualy then its motor, also check that all your rubbers are nice and clean and well lub'd

Phil

There is a manual winder - use it, and use external force to help shut the thing, then get yourself on the phone to Worthing Audi.
How old is your car? If it is under the critical 10year old window, you should be able to get Worthing Audi to do a complete OSS fix free of charge - however, the chap at Worthing (Chris) who seemed to know how to tickle Audi into allowing these doesn't work there anymore apparently, so it might prove more difficult - but stick to your guns!

Hi Dan_b

What do I need to do to stick to my guns for a FOC fix do you know - is this warranty or known issue which they tend to want to fix. The car was audi serviced until a year ago so this could be an issue? Any tips would be appreciated.

Since the motor is pulling the front panel forward but the back second panel is not moving on one side how will the manual winder close it - does the manual winder just pull on the cable if the motor is shot? It is literally the drivers side of the second panel that is not moving when the switch is activated. Dont want to start pulling the car apart if this is not going to help, though of-course I do need to get the roof shut! Thankfully looks like a fine week this week! Thanks in advance for any tips.

Tracy

... is this warranty or known issue which they tend to want to fix.

Only Worthing Audi, and Rinner in Bavaria have been prepared to help in the past. They've also had a lot more experience than other dealers at fixing them. If your last service was not at Audi, they'll normally put that in as a condition - i.e., pay to get your car serviced, & have the opensky done on warranty.

Hi, well much to my amazement I have had my OpenSky replaced by Worthing Audi under warranty. I thought I should finish off this thread so that people know it can happen. All you need is relevant service history, doesnt have to be Audi servicing just a service history that meets the audi service schedule. I had to get an service done through them but for £139 I got a service and the roof done. No more shuddering and banging but a new gliding roof. Excellent.

Thats great news. It's always nice to have a broken OSS working again. Let's hope you now have some nice weather to enjoy it :)

Cheers

David

Hi Tracy
Great result for you well done! Can you remember who you dealt with at Worthing Audi this time round? There are other forum members who are also in contact with Worthing at the moment who haven't succeeded as you have!
Dan

Hi, well much to my amazement I have had my OpenSky replaced by Worthing Audi under warranty. I thought I should finish off this thread so that people know it can happen. All you need is relevant service history, doesnt have to be Audi servicing just a service history that meets the audi service schedule. I had to get an service done through them but for £139 I got a service and the roof done. No more shuddering and banging but a new gliding roof. Excellent.

Back