Modifying Cd on the A2 from 0.288 to 0.204 (Coventry university)

MikeMarsUK

A2OC Donor
Coventry University has done an aero study of the A2. They've taken a standard A2 (not FSI or 1.2L) and reduced the CD down to 0.204 (30% reduction). The end result isn't very pretty... but some of the mods in isolation are worth thinking about. The presentation is dated 19th Oct 2011.

http://wwwm.coventry.ac.uk/research... - Drag Reduction on a Production Vehicle.pdf

I wonder if the author reads the A2OC forum? Would be interesting to know the relative effects of the 1.2L components. I found the paper via Vekke from the TDIClub forum (he drives an aero modified VW Lupo 3L).

_____ Edit:

Coventry university have redesigned their website and the original link no longer works. I found a similar presentation of the same project at Warwick university.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/w...73-ws12-dragreductiononaproductionvehicle.pdf

Last edited:
Project lowDrag bodykit in the works, expect to be even more popular than the votex kits :)

Wonder what impact on engine performance (cooling capacity for summer, air flow for intercooler) the blocking off would have?
I've done the exhaust tunnel cover with the OE part, and of course the front wheel arch winglets, but maybe I need to get round to the home made rear wheel arch winglets I have on the back burner. That rear box is horrid!

I'm sure everyone's been watching Ford's adverts on TV with that auto front gill shutter. I wonder if someone can make an A2 grill shutter with an actuator hooked it to the speed sensor or gala wire?

I'm sure everyone's been watching Ford's adverts on TV with that auto front gill shutter. I wonder if someone can make an A2 grill shutter with an actuator hooked it to the speed sensor or gala wire?

Fish have gills :)

Does this active grille opening appear on the current BlueMotion cars?

I blame the keyboard for the under water breathing organs!

I should think Ford's patent lawyers have email templates for any manufacturers who use the active grille shutters or patented ecotech stuff.

Having actively opening/closing cooling grilles seems so utterly obvious though as a way to reduce drag when that air flow is not required. Also helps the car heat up more quickly too of course. So perhaps you couldn't patent the concept due to obviousness, but perhaps Ford could patent the combination of monitoring and actuation to enable it? Cool idea though.

I love stuff like this, it's what I went to uni for - unfortunately all we got was classroom maths and computer simulations :(

Is there any off-the-shelf material that would be durable enough, light enough and affix-able to completely flatten the floor as they have done without resorting to sticky tape?! As that alone brought down the cd by 0.15

Possibly aluminium sheeting? You'd have to buy it & cut it to size, allow room for the wheels & suspension to move, ... find enough points to bolt/ziptie it to. There might need to be a thin insulating layer (rockwool?) to prevent metal/metal contact from making too much noise. The only trouble is that you'd need to take it off each time you get it serviced / exhaust done / etc.

I would guess that any such modifications would be a) obvious to an insurance assessor, and b) would need to be declared to the insurance company.

Last edited:
Is there any off-the-shelf material that would be durable enough, light enough and affix-able to completely flatten the floor as they have done without resorting to sticky tape?! As that alone brought down the cd by 0.15

I came across a post on the German forum today... It's not entirely clear to me what they're talking about here, but its possible that they're covering the entire base with a flat layer (page 6 - 8 of this PDF http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20906&d=1220383389).

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=31175

Apparently a common material for this purpose is Correx (AKA Coroplast in the US), because it's very light but still rigid. I'd suggest the 3mm fireproof.

I think they're doing something similar in this thread also:

http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=26925

You know, I look at the base of the A2 and it's already pretty flat & aerodynamic with the exhaust tunnel cover from the 1.2. I have to wonder if the 0.15 CD is actually coming from the wheel arch area rather than the base of the car.

Last edited:
Please whine at me if I haven't gone through those links by the end of today? I've seen most of the threads and the stuff they've done has been in discussion all over...

- Bret

Having actively opening/closing cooling grilles seems so utterly obvious though as a way to reduce drag when that air flow is not required. Also helps the car heat up more quickly too of course. So perhaps you couldn't patent the concept due to obviousness, but perhaps Ford could patent the combination of monitoring and actuation to enable it? Cool idea though.

I once saw a documentary about old cars. I don't remember the make, but there was this one 1930's car that had a bi-metal operated grill shutter system, so the idea isn't very new. :)

And a company called Kysor made automatic radiator shutters for Leyland Olympians, Lynx, and Tiger PCV chassis.

Back