Odd a/c problem. CC unit/g263

Hooley

A2OC Donor
All
Here's an odd one
A/c not blowing cold at all. Now 6 months ago I swapped the CC unit for one with the heated seat switches and never had cause to use the a/c other so thought it must be the gas.
Had it gassed and although low not out.
So hooked up to the VAG-COM and a few error codes appeared including the dreaded g263

Straight to the forum for a quick search and read about a failing CC unit could lead it issue related to this so swapped back to my old unit and turned on the a/c and wooohooooo. Cold air

Scanned again and still the G263 issue remains. Is the cold air a 'restricted' cold and the system isn't functioning as is could?

Any ideas?

Is it actually gone?
Is it the CC unit?
Do I really have to take the dash out? I've already done a dash swap from twist to black so know what I'm in for.

Thanks in advance
J

I had a faulty G263 sensor but it still allowed the aircon to pump out 'coolish' air. Where it really showed up was in colder weather where the reduced drying effect of the aircon caused the cabin to mist up very quickly in damp / cool conditions. On RHD cars it needs the dash out to change the sensor. I changed the sensor on my car and it cured the problem but Humps had similar problems, a scan confirmed it was the G263 but when he removed the sensor it was still working ok.
I don't think anyone has tried this but it should be possible to trace the wires back from the sensor to the CC panel connector so you can check the sensor resistance in situ. More info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...orator-temperature-sensor&p=111609#post111609

Cheers Spike

With the current ambient temperature, you can expect a good running AC should give you 7-10C measuring at the vents, CC set to LOW. A restricted AC such as caused by the G263 fault will raise it significantly. When my AC was fixed and fully recharged, outside air being 16C, my vents measured 3.5C cold air.

Did you clear the fault code before / after swapping? I remember looking at the wiring diagram and you can definitely measure the resistance of the G263 from one of the plugs. However, it is hard to verify without the ability to change the temperature of the probe and see the multi-meter change readings. I was able to confirm my G263 as I eventually pulled it out, had it measured against a new G263, same readings on both over steam then cool down.

If you are happy with the performance of the aircon with the old CC unit, why not swap the front panels so you have the seat heating controls on the old unit.

Cheers Spike

If you are happy with the performance of the aircon with the old CC unit, why not swap the front panels so you have the seat heating controls on the old unit.

Cheers Spike

Lol
Already done that
Still shows the G263 error, might not worry about it.....

Back