Intermittent feeling of "wrongness" with the steering

dan_b

A2OC Donor
As per the title - I've noticed in the last few weeks an intermittent sensation from the steering that I can best describe as feeling as if the power assistance is cutting out for a fraction of a second.

It seems most likely to occur when the car is cold and I'm maneuvering at low speed; but not always. For example, if I'm braking in 2nd gear and then making a 180 degree u-turn (I have to do this twice a day in a filter), when I come off the brakes and then crank the steering over, it'll sometimes feel excessively heavy for maybe half of the turn.

Could there be a problem with the power steering pump? Or the electrical supply to the power steering motor? Or a weak battery?
It doesn't seem to be getting worse, but has anyone had a similar sensation?

I found this with the FSi when the idle revs were a little low. The TDi motor is however far more stable at idling speed.
Dan, check the power steering fluid level and even perhaps the tyre pressures?

blue skies
tony

Dan, it's not easy to get to.
It lives on the left side of the engine compartment below and between the ABS pump and headlamp unit.
It's easyest to check it with the headlamp removed. It has a green screw cap and the correct level markings are on the walls of a semi-transparent reservoir bottle. Make sure you have fluid in hand if you go the distance and remove the headlamp to check the level.

blue skies
tony

Is that left-side of the car when you're driving it going forwards, or left-side as you look at it from above with the bonnet off?! :)

What's the required spec fluid for A2 PAS?

hi dan dont want to cause a skare but isnt that one of the symptoms mike(skipton) had with his damaged wiring loom? it was the loom that runs over the strut top mount area -- the wire was worn through on an undressed weld. i really hope im wrong but it is worth a look at considering the ampage that the power steering pulls(the wire is substancial)
Also could it be a duff battery? fingers crossed mike

Where does the PAS loom run then? Definitely worth a visual inspection... The battery could be on the way out too I guess, its a Varta, could be original, certainly I've not changed it in the last 4 years...

Is that left-side of the car when you're driving it going forwards, or left-side as you look at it from above with the bonnet off?! :)

What's the required spec fluid for A2 PAS?

Orientation is always from driver seat facing forwards.

PAS fluid is Audi part # G 004 000 M2, around £7.25 per litre.

blue skies
tony

Did you manage to find the problem dan? this sounds what mine is like - and has been like for ages.. (mine does it all the time, hot or cold)

Calling Dan....

I've just read this thread - which I know is old - and you've described the exact power steering problems I've just started to experience with my wife's A2 - what was the eventual diagnosis / solution?

Cheers.
Rwhites

Calling Dan....

I've just read this thread - which I know is old - and you've described the exact power steering problems I've just started to experience with my wife's A2 - what was the eventual diagnosis / solution?

Cheers.
Rwhites

No response, but I seem to have answered my own question - with reference to other threads. I'm posting back because a pet hate of mine is when the solution isn't posted after the problem has been solved.

My steering problem was intermittent, and seemed to be worse when braking hard for a corner. Over the last few days it has grown progressively worse.

Solution: I topped up the power steering fluid - as suggested earlier in this thread - and on a short test drive, the problem seems to have been solved.

The PAS fluid reservoir (which has a green lid) sits below the near side headlight, which needs to be removed for easy access. Consensus of opinion seems to be to use the genuine Audi fluid. I paid £8.16 for a litre this morning. I actually bought two litres because I wasn't sure how much I'd need, but I've used maybe 1/3 of a litre, so this was overkill.

I'll post back if the problem re-occurs.

Many thanks to the forum! Keep up the good work!

I'm posting back because a pet hate of mine is when the solution isn't posted after the problem has been solved.

Hi,

I believe that Dan had a serious accident and broke his arm around that time so he would not have been thinking of the forum around that time.

He is back and active now but obviously didn't get to update all of the older posts.

And thanks for posting the solution to your problem, I do agree that when people don't it can sometimes appear a little selfish, posting a thread to ask for help but not providing any help themselves when the problem was resolved.

Steve B

Hi,

I believe that Dan had a serious accident and broke his arm around that time so he would not have been thinking of the forum around that time.

He is back and active now but obviously didn't get to update all of the older posts.

Steve B

I wasn't having a pop at Dan!!

It was simply a general comment.

Cheers.

I wasn't having a pop at Dan!!

It was simply a general comment.

Cheers.

Yes, I realise that and after I posted my comment I realised that it sounded like that was what I meant, but it wasn't.

Sorry for any confusion.

Steve B

Back