Oil Filler Hose Broken

JLo

IMG-20121104-00178.jpgHello All,

Following the discovery of a bad oil leak. Trailing oil along the road. I've found that the hose from the oil filler down to the oil filter has broken clean off. The break is low down near the filter. I've removed the top part of the hose (about 8inches) and plugged the the part remaining on the oil filter and on the underside of the filler. Is this hose only used for oil filling? Or, is it a breather/oil return from the intercooler? I'd appreciate any advice. Regards JLo

Hi,
The pipe you speak of is not only an oil filler pipe, but, any breaks or leaks can affect the way your car runs. It has,as you know, a quick release at the top, which has a seal on it. At the bottom of the pipe, it also has a seal, to prevent oil an air getting out,or air and dirt getting in. It would be better to purchase a new part for this area of the car, I am sure that this would cure the problem of your oil leak. Also, check your filter is properly secured, and is tight, but, not too tight,,,,clean off all visible signs of oil which show leaks. Hope this helps.

Back