For the worn buttons on your climate control unit...

These are not new to Ebay .... I've seen them before quite a while ago. Also, I've seen these fitted to an A2 recently being listed on Ebay .... whereas they are an improvement, they do look a bit bright and obvious, because all the other buttons are duller and (possibly) worn. It needs someone to come up with a complete kit for all the buttons, in a quality finish .... they would make an absolute fortune! LOL!

David

They are not very good, I bought a set for my A2, although you get used to them the fonts and sizes of the characters are nothing like the original and the black is not a soul black, it is a gloss back. And as the gloss black do not suffer from the problem of worn buttons it seems a bit pointless.

The seller went to great pains to point out to me how perfect a match they were, but I can assure you they are not for a soft touch soul black interior car.

Attachments

• heater-stickers.jpg
    heater-stickers.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 1,647
Especially if they are all worn to the same extent! LOL! I'm so lucky to have the earlier unit(s) with the hard, shiny knobs! What a ridiculous backward move it was of Audi to go to that "soft-touch" finish! Did they not perform any wear-tests? Now what is that "Banner" that Audi use? "BETTER BY DESIGN"? LOL!

I made my own for the worn buttons. See my albums/Aircon buttons

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do I do that? I presume that they must be in the "Gallery", but I can't seem to expand it? .... sorry ...

David

I don't think these stickers let light through either, meaning that the buttons don't illuminate like all the others on the CC panel.

The stickers I fitted do let light through.

If you go to my profile then picture gallery on the left hand side,click on Air con buttons. Click on the thumbnail and it expands

Yes, I've found your photo .... good idea! So if I get some matt-black insulating tape and a surgical scalpel (I've got one of those) , I then cut out the "+" and "-" (Using magnification and a steel straight-edge)? I'll only have to do this for my Partner's A2, of course! LOL! I think that you clever idea would look better if you had covered the whole knob(s), though ..... Thanks for sharing your mod!

David

If the other parts of the button were in poor shape I probably would but I didn't want to scratch the covering off other areas to get the red light to pass through

Well I bought the stickers off eBay...and no they are not an exact colour match but they do look a lot better than completely worn off buttons....I would recommend them if you do not fancy paying for a whole new climate unit to replace the buttons...a very cheap fix.

Just need an 'OFF' button sticker now :(

Hi i have just bought some of these to tidy up the worn areas --- the first sets were never received but the seller re sent them. I hope to fit them soon. i also have some non soft touch buttons but at the moment no time to strip out the units.
cheers mike

The seller has been great with comms so far.....they are even going to try and source the 'OFF' button sticker too :)

Ok I know not to everyone taste as they are not quite exact...but I still stand by my comment, great and cheap fix.

Happy customer (and no, I am not on commission or know the seller :) )

Right, this is from my head ..... Matt black insulating tape .... perfectly matches the texture of the knobs. Clear "sellotape" . A set of children's coloured felt - tip pens. Start with the insulating tape. With a very sharp "Stanley" knife or surgical scalpel and using a steel, straight-edge as a guide, carefully cut your "+" and "-" out of the tape (or anything else, for that matter) Let the artist in you, shine!. Now, stick a small piece of "sellotape" on the knob(s) to coincide with the symbols. Chose a children's felt-tip pen that corresponds to the red illumination of the Audi instrument display. Experiment .... if it isn't dark enough, put another "coat" on! Now apply your freshly made covering to the knobs, making sure that they are trimmed exactly to size. As I said, this is from my head, not from practice, but just give it a go ... It can't do any harm!

David

Back