Cylinder Head Rebuild

timmus

A2OC Donor
A few months ago, I mentioned that I was losing coolant. There didn’t appear to be a pool of liquid forming anywhere easily visible. However, there seemed to be a direct correlation between how hard I drove the car and the rate of coolant loss. Spike correctly diagnosed the problem; cylinder head gasket failure!

So, while my A2 was at Stealth for its gearbox upgrade (see www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21523), I had Vince solve the problem. Never one to do things by halves, I had the cylinder head completely rebuilt, prompted in part by a broken valve.

The photo below shows the engine bay with the cylinder head removed. The detached cambelt can be seen in the top-left-hand corner. The three heater tubes on the right were replaced, as they’re inaccessible with the cylinder head in place. Because the gearbox has been removed, one end of the engine has to be held up with a chain. It’s possible to see the fuel swirl chamber in the top of one of the three pistons. The unit injectors mist the fuel into this little space.
Engine Bay.jpg

Once removed, stripped back and cleaned, the 3-pot TDI’s cylinder head looks like this. You can see the holes for the valves as well as those for the fuel injectors.
Clean Head.jpg

The underside of the head, once skimmed, looks like this. The tiny holes between each pair of valve holes are where the spray tips of the fuel injectors pop through into the combustion chambers.
Skimmed Head.jpg

When Vince dismantled the head, the little ribbed end of one of the valves broke off. The photo below shows shiny and dull parts of the break, suggesting there was a manufacturing problem with this valve, leading to a hairline fracture. Vince said that he'd never seen this before. Had this happened while the engine was running, the rest of the valve would have fallen down inside the combustion chamber, which could easily have ruined the engine.
Broken Valve.jpg

So, a new set of valves was purchased, along with new concentric springs and all the other little bits and pieces.
Valves.jpg

Vince also found that the camshaft bearings were showing signs of wear, so these were also replaced. In the photo below, you can clearly see the wear to the plain bearings, in addition to the fuel injectors down the left-hand-side.
Cam Bearings.jpg

Last edited:
Reassembly

Once reassembled, the cylinder head looks like this. This is the view from the back of the head, as the driver would see it. You can see the camshaft operating the intake and exhaust valves as well as the roller rockers that pressurise the fuel on the opposite side of the camshaft.
Rebuilt Back.jpg

The cylinder head, as seen from the front of the car, looks like this. You can see the three camshaft-pressurised fuel injectors. As the camshaft rotates, the roller rockers pressurise the fuel to 27,850psi. That’s nearly 2000 times atmospheric pressure!
Rebuilt Front.jpg

The aspiration bits and pieces can then be bolted to the back of the cylinder head. This photo shows the manifolds, the corrugated EGR pipe (although this has been blanked off at the EGR valve) and the Garrett turbocharger.
Complete.jpg

This whole cylinder head assembly can now be repositioned on the cylinder block, with a new gasket in between. The toothed wheel that turns the camshaft can be seen at one extreme end of the camshaft. Although not shown in the photo below, the camshaft is also responsible for driving the tandem pump (fuel and vacuum) at its other extreme end. When Mike Hill first inspected my car three years ago, he noticed that the tandem pump seal was starting to fail. Vince was able to replace this as part of the rebuild process.
Head Back On.jpg

Vince was as thorough as ever. My engine runs so well, and I don't have to top up the coolant every 10 days!
As always, I hope this has made for interesting reading.

Cheers,

Tom

Amazing work! You must have spent a fair few quid with Vince though!
My car's got an increasingly hemorrhagic oil leak which I'm hoping to track down...

Great writeup again! Out of interest what was the rough cost of getting the engine work done? (excluding the gearbox work)

Great writeup again! Out of interest what was the rough cost of getting the engine work done? (excluding the gearbox work)

Thank you, Mike!
I'm afraid I haven't got a clue, as all the work is on one invoice. Whilst I have a breakdown of the cost of the parts needed, the labour charge has been rolled into one. As is obvious, Vince spent many hours working on my car. However, he only charged for two hours in every three, so did me a very good deal for having everything done at once.

Tom

Last edited:
Another really comprehensive write-up, thanks.

.....only a few more bits to do before the manual is ready......!

Mark

Tom,

Great write-up, thanks for sharing the pictures, it's good to see the insides of the tdi.
I wonder how long that valve stem would have held out? Forget the money you've spent, just think how much you've saved not having to get the whole engine rebuilt!

Steve

For info. I've had a 16v petrol cylinder head off a MX5 rebuilt ~£1k. Also know of someone with a Mercedes 190 16v that cost £1.5k.

Thanks for a good write up Timmus.

It sort of seals the deal with Stealth as most places would buy a rebuild in, it shows they know what they are doing for sure.

Back