Replacement gear knob - options ?

YorkshireHill

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone

I need to replace the gear knob as the chrome is peeling away and is very sharp. Thought I'd ask in case anyone has a spare I could buy. Or any other ideas where I could source one?

This might be the first mod to my car in 9 years of ownership!

Thanks

Hilary

I think that it is not possible to simply replace that knob? ( I have tried to separate the knob from the shift rod ... impossible!) However, like yourself, I have the same problem! Now, I think that it may be possible to replace just the gear-shift logo sitting on the top of the knob. That is the offending part on my gear-lever knob! Let us see what the other knowledgeable A2OC members have to say about this, eh?

David

Same happened to me. Just prise the ring out with a small flat blade screwdriver and you can peel away the sharp chrome plastic. Pop the ring back in place and the job's a good 'un.

Hi Hilary,

The gear knob can be separated from the shift rod, but a special clip and crimp tool is needed to properly attach a new one... unless you want to use a jubilee clip. *shudders at the thought*
If you take a look at my 6th gear thread, you'll see that the emblem can be separated from the rest of the gear knob... http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?21523#post165097
A few posts further down the page, you'll see how to 'extract' the emblem without risk of damage.
The emblems cannot be purchased separately, but if you buy a whole gear knob from a car that's being broken, swapping the emblems is easier than swapping the whole knob as the aforementioned tool isn't needed.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks for that information. Think I will try Squadron Leader's solution of removing the sharp chrome to start with.

Many thanks

Hilary

Tom, I know what you are saying about the separation of the knob from the mechanism .... I used a jubilee clip instead of that special Audi clip! But no, I'm talking about removing JUST the knob itself! It can't be done! You end up with the knob + leather gaiter! Yet on Ebay you do see examples of just the knob being offered for sale? Have you any experience of dismantling the knob/gaiter further? Mike (Skipton) quickly dismissed it as "can't be done"!

David

Yes, I have completely dismantled and reassembled an A2 gear stick. The whole assembly, including the gaitor and large retention ring at the very bottom was first removed from the car. The knob and gaiter can then be separated. The emblem can be removed from the top.
There are some things that can't be dismantled, of course. For instance, you can't take the leather trim from the knob without 'destitching' the leather. However, a lot is possible. I bought a sacrificial A2 gear knob before modifying my own gear knob to 6-speed.

Tom

Just for the records.... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360158544.920062.jpg

That's cool! I need it to be in "twist" though! LOL! I bet that's going to be a long search!

David

That's cool! I need it to be in "twist" though! LOL! I bet that's going to be a long search!

David

I got the 'twist' interior as well but my came factory fitted with a black dash and same goes for the gear stick and leather which is also in black making it lool nice with a little color break.

Back