Torsion angle v manual setting of cam timing

luftube

Could anyone clarify that the torsion angle shown by VCDS is always the correct setting when it shows zero angle. My problem is that the tools I bought for manually setting the timing (made by LASER) did not line up with the holes in the engine (cam lock was in place but crank lock was half a hole out advanced) this was before I took the old belt off and the car had been running fine and the VCDS torsion angle with old belt was minus 2.8. I fitted new cam belt and set it manually with the tools then checked it with VCDS it was minus 5.7 I reset timing to zero as checked with VCDS. The car runs ok but it seems the fuel economy has suffered compared to before on the old belt when the torsion angle was minus 2.8. I feel like setting it back to minus 2.8 but this doesn't feel like the correct thing to do.

1.4 TDI SE. 2004 BHC engine

Don't think it answers your question but this is the only thread I can find on VCDS and torsion angle setting - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthrea...r-head-change-1-4TDi&highlight=torsion+timing
I did the belt on my AMF engine, locked the crank first then did the camshaft. In my case the alignment pin locked the camshaft without even slackening the cam pulley locking bolts.
Let us know how you get on

Cheers Spike

Thanks for the reply I've read a lot on the my turbo diesel site I had an A6 before and the info on there is relevant to that car it's a pity it doesn't cover A2s. I tried changing the torsion angle on my A6 plus and minus a small amount but it didn't make much difference to the way it ran. I wonder if my cam setting tools are not right the one that fits on the crank pulley could be made wrong.

Thanks for the quick response I replied yesterday but must not have submitted correctly. I've read a lot of the articles on the My Turbo Diesel site as I had an A6 with PD engine and a lot of the articles were relevant to it. I'm beginning to think it could just be my timing tools that aren't made correctly, I think I will go with setting the timing right to the VCDS and give it longer term test on fuel economy. I could also check for boost leak or faulty MAF see if its something other than timing that's affecting fuel economy.

Thanks Luftube

Back