Will this S/wheel fit?

Well, I don't have to worry about it any more, eh? Sold .... best offer accepted! Somebody's obviously quite happy, now?

David

I thought you were looking for a beige one (and that one looked brown to me).
Post a picture of the sort of colour you're looking for and I'll have a nose about the net for one, it'll give me something to do during the day...as long as I don't find a blue one I like :D

Just FYI I finally worked out how the MFSW works in the A2, first I thought it was all in the slip ring, but that cannot be as I have a MFSW slip ring according to ETKA, so I did a bit more digging and found out that J453 is a MFSW controller. Took me a while to find out what J453 was, but eventually tracked that down to an A6 part 4B0 907 487 E or F

So basically you need an A2 MFSW & airbag or from an A3/A4/A6/A8 with buttons and then the control unit. That should be it.

What functions from a media RNS-E would you lose with a standard mfsw?

This is the sort of blue I'd be looking for;

Attachments

• AlmostMein2.jpg
    AlmostMein2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 292
Absolutely non, although DJ190 claims to have a 2010 RNS-E, in fact he has a standard RNS-E like most other people with A2's.

The term 2010 RNS-E is used to describe the latest RNS-E PU units with an LED screen and MEDIA button which came out with MY2010 cars.

What functions from a media RNS-E would you lose with a standard mfsw?

This is the sort of blue I'd be looking for;

Craig Ihave been do some research on fitting a MFSW and have Adquired an airbag from an A3 8EO88020AB . I think that the slip ring has to be a Q verison ,as well as control unit you will need the holder for control unit (8ZO907347) costs about £5 from Audi. How much wiring is involed in fitting? Also I have found a part number for cables of 8ZO971589J any idear what these any for? Cheers Terry

My RNSE was manufactured in Year 2010 .... it clearly says that on the label adhering to the side of the unit. It has a button marked "TV/CD" which, I have noticed, is absent on some pictures of earlier RNSE's. In an earlier posting created by you, Craig, you seemed to attach some significance to the fact that your RNSE was not only a 2010 version, but also had that "media" button. I do not recall what the implications were to having this YR 2010 version in your A2, and you not having an earlier version. That was why I asked that question. There must have been some justification for you to have mentioned this fact in your posting? The dash and S/wheel colour in my A2 is beige ("twist") "Nuttinnew" .... thank you so much for offering to look for a suitable wheel for me! that is SO kind! I would attach a photo of my existing wheel, if I could figure out how to do it! LOL!

David

David,

I'm no expert when it comes to the integrated Audi SatNav systems, but I imagine Craig highlights his RNS-E being of the 2010 version because the unit underwent some updates in that year. For all that your unit may have been manufactured in 2010, it would seem it's of the previous generation.
As an example... Some 51-reg A2s are 2001MY, whereas some 51-reg A2s are 2002MY. Despite both having been built and registered in 2001, the latter received many updates. I can only imagine the same is true with the RNS-E system. Whether Craig's later RNS-E required pioneering wizardry, I don't know.

Terry,

Sorry for the delayed reply; I hope you don't mind me answering your private question here. There's also a massive hole in my knowledge where MFSWs are concerned. I understand the basics of how they're tied into the car's systems, but have never looked into it in detail. I know that a few other experienced and techy retro-fitters in the club have struggled to get them to work, but it appears Craig is really getting somewhere.

As you might expect, everyone who adds options to their car gains very specific knowledge about a particular mod or retro-fit. The driving force behind the research is generally the desire to have that feature on one's own car. I'm not fussed about having RNS-E or a MFSW, so my knowledge of these features is quite lacking.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
I was rather hoping to get if "from the horse's mouth".

I believe you already have...

..Although DJ190 claims to have a 2010 RNS-E, in fact he has a standard RNS-E like most other people with A2's.
The term 2010 RNS-E is used to describe the latest RNS-E PU units with an LED screen and MEDIA button which came out with MY2010 cars.

Tom, I am not too fussed about MFSW per sa. Just need controls to fit DAB radio which compliments the Bose

Ah, yes, of course. I'm afraid that I'm not your man on this occasion. Had I gained experience of the mod elsewhere, I'd have happily done it for you.
I love my Sport steering wheel far too much, and that design isn't available as a multi-function version. Also, I hardly need controls on my steering wheel to operate a Concert II CD player. :p

Tom

Did you get the worn buttons replaced on your Concert?

Not as yet, no. I will eventually buy a 'spares or repair' Concert with buttons in decent condition, but my A2 has raided my piggy bank a bit recently, so I'm having to learn to live with the odd imperfection. :)

DJ190, if your RNS-E says "RNS-E PU" on the lid then yes you have a MK2 RNS-E with gloss surround, LED screen, not LCD, 32GB SDHC card slots, not 4GB, a MEDIA button, not CD/TV and lastly a way to get it working in an A2 without the magical cangate module. Which I'm pretty sure you do not have.

Trust me, you have a standard RNS-E coded for A6 to work in an A2 with the speed pulse form the cluster, the later RNS-E PU units cannot be coded to A6 and therefore will not work unless you can generate GALa over canbus by using a cangate module. It may have been made in 2010, again I think this is not the case as so many dodgy and fraudulent units are out there it could be anything. I've been working with RNS-E sinve 2004 and I was the first person in the world to get one working in an A8 D2 chassis, which is pretty much what the A2 is electrically.

I've managed to buy one of the 4B0 MFSW control units, the slip ring should be fine as I'm using a MFSW already and didn't need a new slip ring. Just sourcing a MFSW with buttons. My main concern is the airbag, using a dual stage airbag on a single stage controller has never been tested, so to put it back to a single stage again would give me the peace of mind if i do crash my airbag might actually function.

I've managed to buy one of the 4B0 MFSW control units, the slip ring should be fine as I'm using a MFSW already and didn't need a new slip ring. Just sourcing a MFSW with buttons. My main concern is the airbag, using a dual stage airbag on a single stage controller has never been tested, so to put it back to a single stage again would give me the peace of mind if i do crash my airbag might actually function.

It has
There are 2 front end crashed TT's that had the later flat bottomed steering wheel modified to fire both at once, neither went off
Not scientific but in one of the crashes the passenger airbag did.

J

Back