Footrest removal?

meriafel

A2OC Donor
Have removed the passenger carpet and am now removing the drivers carpet but cannot seem to remove the footrest. I've removed the torx screw at the top and have slid the whole footress up but it doesn't want to unclip that is if it should! Any ideas?

Then I will need to remove the wheelarch cheek on the other side......along side the accelerator foot position. There doesn't seem to be any visible screws to remove! I have removed the accelerator stop which I expected to be threaded but has pulled out of a hole. a tight fit.

Can anyone help please?

I'm guessing you've already unclipped the centre tunnel kick board? If not, I'd do so, as it makes removing the footrest easier. However, you're going about the footrest removal in exactly the right way; it slides upwards, parallel to its surface, but can be very stiff. Persevere and thou shalt succeed!
The wheel arch cheek is bonded to the sill trim. Remove this sill trim in exactly the same way as you removed the one of the opposite side; a firm tug upwards.

Cheers,

Tom

Last edited:
Thanks again Tom. Didn't manage to remove the passenger cill but I think I saw in another post you answered about a broken glovebox that there is a torx screw hidden behind the upper door post otherwise I too would now be looking for a new glovebox!! Instead, with the glovebox 'hanging' I removed a length of trim against the rubber door seal by carefully prising upward to remove which enabled me to flex outwards the cill upper moulding to see the 'target' screw. Then flexed the moulding inwards to be able to get torx bit on it . As it was being pushed in, the torx screw was retained, enabling long nosed pliers to remove it. Phew! A piece of broken plastic turned out to be the actuator for the glove box switch which I noticed wasn't working. Just tested unit and bulb is OK so I didn't break it off. Have glued back on with Evostik PVC Pipe Weld Extra Strong which is a must when doing work like this on a car.

Can I now give a tug to both door cills to remove...straight up, outwards, or which way?

Last edited:
To be honest, once you know how to remove the sill plastic, you'd have just removed it rather than try to get torx bits 'round corners, etc.
Just get a firm hold of it with both hands slightly towards the B-pillar end and then pull vertically upwards. There are only three clips holding it to the sill of the ally space frame, but they hold on tight, so you'll need to be firm but even.

The glovebox light actuator is probably broken on a majority of A2s; it's a very flimsy design.

Cheers,

Tom

Still haven't managed to remove the drivers side kick plate that is holding in the footrest! do I need to remove part of the tunnel above or simply pull outwards? My other problem is removing the wiper arms to adjust the sweep as they are clunking against the plastic moulding on the passenger side when sweeping. Have removed the small nut and the released from spline but the arm with the larger nut is seized. Have three triple pullers which are unsuitable due to space. What puller do I need and from where either mail order or Halfords which is 70 miles return!

Also can I do an oil change using a PELA as I do on my Passat TDi or is it only poss by dropping the undertray? Trying to get so much done today but held up at every point! Such is life! Thanks for any help you can give.

The driver's side kick plate is simply held in with clips, but they can be tight. Get your fingers behind the plate from underneath - at the bottom-left-hand corner - and give it a good pull.

Can someone else please offer advice regarding oil changes and a suitable puller for the wiper arm....?

Cheers,

Tom

The PELA Suction device doesn't require undertray removal or sump plug replacement. It is clean and will also suck out the oil from the oil filter housing. Take the PELA container to recycling and tip in the waste oil. On this occasion I'm glad I dropped the undertray as the sump-plug had no washer and I was able to fit one that had and check the aircleaner element beneath drivers wing. The Pullers for the A2 wiper arms illustrated above are inexpensive and look as though they are man enough for the task, I will order one.

I bought a Laser 4751 from a garage supplier at a cost of £26.86 that had so much play in the adjustable arms that it cammed-out....... slipping off the wiper arm every time...... rendering it quite useless for the task of wiper arm removal.

The PELA Suction device doesn't require undertray removal or sump plug replacement.

In order to replace the air filter, the undertray needs to be removed anyway. For the sake of the few pennies that a new sump plug costs, I'd rather drain the oil, for the reasons Spike suggests.

Cheers,

Tom

Did the oil change by removal of undertray and didn't bother with the PELA. As you rightly said was able to see the air box too. I had no idea where it was!

On drivers side I still cannot remove the foot rest which means I cannot remove the kick plate against the tunnel so will not be able to refit the carpet!

Does the foot rest have plastic lugs that slide into oblong holes as the similar footrest support on the passenger side for LHD?

Can I approach from another direction and remove the tunnel moulding that houses the ASR switch?.........including the snub nosed C-shaped tunnel moulding to the rear of the gear lever? Then possibly remove rhe side kick plate? The footrest is really holding things up.....HELP

Last edited:
On drivers side I still cannot remove the foot rest which means I cannot remove the kick plate against the tunnel so will not be able to refit the carpet!

Sorry, I have perhaps been unclear. The side kick plate should come out first, then the clutch rest. See post #6 above.

Cheers,

Tom

Kickplate came out as you said it would and the clutch footrest virtually fell out. Brilliant. Just need the courage to pull hard IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION! Thanks again Tom.

Back