Some general Bose info I found earlier.

Interesting indeed! People with full Bose should experiment with disabling the Hard-coded A2 Bose DSP by defeating the Pin 1 Bose earth connector and see what happens :)

Interesting indeed! People with full Bose should experiment with disabling the Hard-coded A2 Bose DSP by defeating the Pin 1 Bose earth connector and see what happens :)

It results in an overly-boomy mess! ... I briefly tried it when installing David's Bose system recently. Yes, it undoubtedly increased bass response, but in a manner that sounded slightly stressed. The overall loss of clarity means that I'd not recommend this over simply adjusting the HU's EQ to suit.

Last edited:
A pity you didn't get a chance to listen to my half-Bose hybrid system when you were down - I don't think it sounds a boomy mess :)

...I don't think it sounds a boomy mess :)

I've no reason to doubt that, Dan. Any conclusions I might have drawn from my brief experiment with Riverlad's full Bose system don't apply to yours. After all, we're dealing with drivers of different impedances, sensitivities and frequency range.
You're right, though... I should have had a closer listen to your system when the opportunity presented itself.

Having 'had a go' in a 996 Turbo, I can only say that I couldn't have cared less if it had a wind up radio strapped to the dash once I got acquainted with the right pedal! :D

It results in an overly-boomy mess! ... I briefly tried it when installing David's Bose system recently. Yes, it undoubtedly increased bass response, but in a manner that sounded slightly stressed. The overall loss of clarity means that I'd not recommend this over simply adjusting the HU's EQ to suit.

I'm curious to know what it sounds like compared to a non-Bose car, I'm guessing much the same but with a bit more oomph because it has the sub.

I'm curious to know what it sounds like compared to a non-Bose car, I'm guessing much the same but with a bit more oomph because it has the sub.

Compared to a standard stereo, it was definitely 'meatier' and able to give much more volume before any distortion was noticeable, but the low end was just generally muddy.

I'm thinking of what could be done with non A2 Bose. The amp location is neat and tidy so handy if you can use something. Some of the Bose tricks can be used, for example getting rid of the muddy low end by getting rid of the low end. You could go as basic as using a capacitor to roll off the low end and clear it up, likewise a coil on the sub channel to cut off the highs. I haven't got my hands on one to measure it, but a spare wheel sub may fit in a spacesaver to be a neat use of space. I've tried getting a spare battery tray so I can get a fibreglass enclosure made to make the most of the nooks and crannies, but it looks like the tray will need cutting out :( The intention was for the first one to be made as a mould so that more can be made easily, certainly if I could buy something off the shelf I would.

Something else I need to look at is a Blaupunkt sub from an A6. They have a built in amp that powers the sub and the rear speakers. I think one might fit in an A2 with the mounts cut off, if so it could be added in place of the rear amp.

I have plenty of time to think, so I do. Sorry :eek:

There are always Bose amps up on ebay for various different Audi makes - I suppose if you fancy tinkering they'd be worth a go, provided you disable their internal hard-coded DSP?!

Actually, didn't someone on here a few years back do that with a Bose amp from (I think) and A4?

There are always Bose amps up on ebay for various different Audi makes - I suppose if you fancy tinkering they'd be worth a go, provided you disable their internal hard-coded DSP?!

The DSP is the only attraction of the Bose system really. You'd end up pay a lot of money for a 'wrong' sounding system of average quality parts, so why bother :D

Cheers

Actually, didn't someone on here a few years back do that with a Bose amp from (I think) and A4?

Erstens; http://www.a2-freun.de/forum/showthread.php?t=21716&highlight=bose

shredded; dan is happy from the sound with his semi-Bose - standard door speakers, Bose sub, Bose amp with the Bose wire disconnected - so if the dsp isn't being used why limit yourself to finding an A2 amp? Is just a thought is all :) I have Bose in mine already, but the A2 bits aren't easy to find.

Back